Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Advertising Wednesday

In honor of Advertising Wednesday, I have added a cover photo of my book to the blog. Click on it and you are magically transported to my website, where, if you so choose, you can purchase the darn thing. Eek, that's so hard to say. Writing was hard enough--asking people to buy the book borders on torture. I have also added a review by a member of the Story Circle Network, an organization created by and for women writers (sorry, guys, it wasn't my idea).

Here's what I want to say about this memoir. The writing actually began in 1978, when I lost custody of my son and began keeping a journal. At the time, I had no idea I would eventually become a writer . I was merely attempting to preserve my sanity and trying to figure out how something so horrible could happen to a nice Jewish girl from Queens, NY, in a time when women did not lose custody (it was the 1970s).

Fast forward to 1999, when my wonderful hubby told me I should quit my job and write full-time, if that's what I really wanted to do. You'll have to read the memoir to understand fully what that meant to me. This was my third attempt at marriage and I wasn't used to husbands treating me well.

Ten years later, the darn thing is done and out there in the universe. I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. I grew up in an extremely dysfunctional family and received no guidance or support on how to be a functioning, happy person. Consequently, I shut down and lived most of my life on auto-pilot. The memoir tells the story of how and why that happened, and how I found my way out of the abyss and into inner peace and self-acceptance. Here's hoping it finds its way into the hands of those who may still be struggling in the abyss.

Blessings,

Karen

13 comments:

Patricia Stoltey said...

Karen, That's a beautiful and peaceful picture on your book cover. Nice placement on the page. I noticed I had to scroll way down to find the link to Follow you, so it might not hurt to move it up above the book review if you think that would pull more readers in.

Today's blog on your memoir subject matter is well written. I know what you mean about asking folks to buy your book. I hate that part of the whole writing gig so much that I mostly ask people to request their libraries order the book. Some will actually follow through and do it, and then buy a copy for themselves as well.

Patricia
http://patriciastoltey.blogspot.com

Galen Kindley said...

Hi, Karen, Book Covers are really important, and Patricia's correct, your's is very attractive in many ways.
I visited your website. It's verywell done. However, I couldn't find the review you mentioned. Probably just me. Maybe you could link to it from your blog???

Galen.
http://www.galenkindley.com

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I also hate asking people to buy my book but know it is part of the 'job.' Your story sounds fascinating. How courageous you are to share it. Good luck.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

©DGreer said...

Yes, looking pretty good, Karen. Back to class for more comments. ;)

Dani
http://blogbooktours.blogspot.com

alexisgrant said...

Your blog looks great with your photo cover up there. I say you should make it permanent!

Charlotte Phillips said...

Karen,

Your memoir sound intriguing. I'm so glad to hear you found someone who treats you well. We all deserve that and so few of us seem to know that we can demand it.

N A Sharpe said...

Hi Karen,
The book cover is very attractive, which is important. Your book sounds heartwarming. I am so glad you found someone in your life to love you and treat you as you should be treated. I think emotional wounds are much harder to heal than anything physical that can happen to you. It must be difficult to write about things so personal and hurtful. Bless you.

NA Sharpe
http://nancysharpe.blogspot.com
http://cybrarianbookreviews.blogspot.com

The Practical Preserver said...

What a strong woman you are! Your courage shines through in your writing and your message should be a comfort and a help to others.

Karen K. Brees, Ph.D.
http://www.karenkbrees.com
http://www.practicalpreserving.blogspot.com

Stephen Tremp said...

Don't ever be afraid to ask people to buy your book. You have something deep and insightful to offer people, which is in contrast to so much of the junk and shallow material out there today.

Stephen Tremp
Author - Breakthrough: The Adventures of Chase Manhattan
http://www.stephentremp.com/

Jina Bacarr said...

I agree re: making your book cover a permanent piece on your blog. The color coordination of the book and your blog is stunning!

Jina
http://tinyurl.com/BerlinSexDiary

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Hi Karen-

I thought sure I'd left comments here before, but ... might be the "Half-Heimers" acting up. :)

I enjoy your post very much. Just signed up to follow your blog. Thanks for the visit & comment on Free Spirit today.

Marvin D Wilson
http://tiedyedtirades.blogspot.com/
http://inspiritandtruths.blogspot.com/

jenniferroland said...

Karen,

I just realized that your comments had gotten lost in the spam filter. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I'm so glad you found my blog and to thank you for including me in your blog roll.

Great job with your advertising for today. Good luck!

Jennifer Roland

AlanChinWriter said...

I'd first like to say that I absolutely love your book cover. A good cover is so important. I've never like the one they pushed on me for Island Song.

Secondly, you life story sounds fasinating. You have a lot to say, to add to this world, and I think you should not feel shy about asking people to buy a copy. It will enrich their lives.

alan chin,
author of Island Song
http://alanchin.net