Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Being Successful

I feel successful. Why? Because someone I do not know, someone who found me on Twitter, is reading my book, "Following the Whispers," and is "glad to know there is hope out there." To borrow a phrase from fellow writer and classmate, Alan Chin, it's "why I write."

Our society has high expectations for what constitutes success, i.e. making lots of money, obtaining a certain status position, becoming famous. None of those things will most likely happen for me. But that is all right. My goal is simple. I want to help others, and I didn't want to do it by being a therapist.

By sharing my story, the pain, the insecurities, the struggles, as well as the joy, the self-acceptance and self-confidence, and ways I overcame obstacles, I am slowly, one step, one book, one connection at a time, making a difference in peoples' lives. I am so very blessed. And, in my humble opinion, so very successful.

Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Marvin D. Wilson said...

This, my friend, is truly what it is ALL about. You can't take all the gold in the world with you when you leave this earth - but you CAN leave behind a legacy of being someone who helped and inspired others with your life and works.

Great post, and I'm so happy for you. :)

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

Galen Kindley said...

Karen, I dropped by your website to see if you had a page of reader comments. (Get these from eMail, or from Amazon and Barnes and Noble.) I didn't find one. It's something you might want to consider adding...if nothing else, it makes *you* feel good to read them. Not to pump my stuff, but, see my site for an example.

Best Regards, Galen

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I'm delighted that you had such a positive response! You deserve it.

Elizabeth
http://tinyurl.com/ojpo4o

Patricia Stoltey said...

Inspirational stories, like humor, can change lives for the better, an excellent measure of success. I admire what you've done and wish you many more appreciative readers.

Patricia

Linda Austin said...

"...To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Karen Walker said...

Linda,I have not seen that Emerson quote. Wow. Thank you.
Karen

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Good for you! I have a feeling you will be receiving more 'thank you' notes in the future.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

Stephen Tremp said...

Linda,

I forgot who said this, but basically a person's success should not be measured by what they have achieved, rather, success is measured by the obstacles one has overcome.

http://www.stephentremp.blogspot.com/

K. A. Laity said...

I got a wonderful wonderful letter from my mother-in-law who said the most kind and heartfelt things about reading my book, about the magic of reading taking you places you never knew. Made me cry. Yes, it is why we do it. Those moments are few but precious.

Jennifer Taggart, TheSmartMama said...

Isn't the immediate connection of Twitter fun? I'm glad you had such a positive response.

Enid Wilson said...

Definitely you're successful! You're willing to face your past and look beyond it. I think the one-way definition of success in our society needs to be changed. Money or fame don't mean anything.

Steamy Stories by Enid

N A Sharpe said...

This is definitely what its all about - to know you have touched someone in this way is a wonderful thing, my friend.

Nancy
http://nasharpe.blogspot.com

The Practical Preserver said...

We write simply because we must.