Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Blogging Blues

There are five more days to the blogging challenge I agreed to participate in as part of learning how to do a book blog tour. Writing usually comes quite easily to me, but I have to admit I'm running out of things I feel like blogging about. I'm a person who likes to talk about what I am feeling, because it helps me get in touch with emotions and then release them. Keeping things bottled up inside just doesn't work for me.

But there also comes a time when I must go within. When I need to get quiet and listen for the whispers of wisdom that invariably come. I'm blogged, tweeted, ninged and facebooked out.

I saw a quote on the bathroom wall at a friend's house yesterday:

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

And so it goes for posts. If there isn't a certain quality to them - if there isn't some meaning behind the words, then why bother. So I'm grateful my daily blogging ends in five days. I'm going for the heart and soul of what I'm trying to accomplish here, and not the daily hit.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I do enjoy your posts and I agree - there are times we need to be alone with our own thoughts. I liked the quote.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

alexisgrant said...

Good call! Blogging daily for a month really is a challenge... You've done well. Soon you can scale back to a few posts a week, whenever the urge hits you!

Galen Kindley said...

This has been on my mind--and I'm probably gonna blog about it soon. I've been all over the wall with posts of every type...hardly building a "Brand," huh? One of the reasons is, “What the heck do I have to say???”

Oh, I thought the BAD was for just two weeks. I'll have to check. But, regardless, there comes a point—at least for me—where blogging quality suffers when I “have” to do it everyday.

I'm already a no Sunday blogger, but shortly, I'm gonna post a blog on both Saturday and Sunday that says something like, "No post today, but, thanks for checking in. Please stop in again Monday for continued, "must read" stuff.”

Best Regards, Galen
http://www.galenkindley.com

Helen Ginger said...

Blogging every day is a challenge. I've gotten used to it. I think it's in my nature, though. Once I start, I can't seem to quit. It's why my weekly newsletter for writers has been going out for 10 years now!

Helen
Straight From Hel

Patricia Stoltey said...

Karen, like you I've been counting down the blog-a-day challenge, post by post. After May, I plan to post five days a week, with a Colorado author Monday, hopefully a mini book review of whatever I'm reading another day, a weekly post on writing and self-editing day, one day to report progress of the new book and promotion, and one day to talk about whatever strikes my fancy (composting with worms, ham radio, chocolate, meditation, my aches and pains, etc.). I understand why you wish to stay focused and keep your blog on a single track, but that must be a lot harder than what I'm doing. Maybe you could explore some related topics that would complement your theme: feature organizations that help kids, for instance?

By the way, I did address the questions and comments from the early visitors to my blog. Drop back when you have time and learn about my pathetic sales numbers.

Patricia

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Hang in there, Karen! You're doing a wonderful job and you're nearly done with daily blogging. :)
Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

K. A. Laity said...

The aim is daily blogging for this one month, but it's not a sealed in blood arrangement. Give yourself permission to relax. Feed your head! Fill it with music and art and laughter and good food. You'll feel much better and ready for the tour.

N A Sharpe said...

Blogging daily is certainly a challenge. I must say, I have enjoyed your posts very much.

Nancy, from Just a Thought…

Jina Bacarr said...

You've done a magnificent job, Karen, blogging everyday. Heartfelt, introspective yet informative posts. Well done!

Jina

The Berlin Sex Diary of Lady Eve Marlowe

The Practical Preserver said...

Agreed. Quality is important and quantity can detract from that. There's always the danger of turning people away, if your posts are just there to take up space.