Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards and Resilience

I just watched Elizabeth Edwards being interviewed on "The View." The hosts of the show seemed concerned about several things: how could Edwards say that if the child of the woman her husband had an affair with turns out to be her husband's, it has nothing to do with her; how could she be spending so much time away from her children when she has a terminal illness--shouldn't she be spending time with her kids?

It went on and on, the questions, the implied judgments, the differing opinions. If you read Edward's book, "Resilience," as I am doing, you realize this is a woman who is smart, loving, successfull in her career, and has been hit with enough blows to knock anyone over, but she's still standing--with grace, with dignity, and with love.

As a memoir writer, my heart goes out to Elizabeth. She has a terminal illness and has no idea how long she has left. She is making the best choices she can for herself and has chosen to share herself for reasons only she knows. From listening to her and from reading her book, I believe her intentions are honorable.

I wish everyone could walk a mile in her shoes for one day. Then maybe we would stop judging, blaming, and accusing, and start loving, accepting, and praying, instead.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

alexisgrant said...

I agree with you -- No one knows how she feels or why she makes certain decisions, so we shouldn't judge.

I saw her speak a while back at a health journalism conference, and i was surprised to be really impressed with her wit, her smarts, her delivery. This woman has a lot to offer.

Galen Kindley said...

I don't know much about this case. Yes, I tend to stick my head in the sand. Or, maybe I've got enough trouble sorting out my life and problems to take on another's life and problems.

Nonetheless, you suggested we should, "stop judging, blaming, and accusing." Seems to me that's pretty good advice, no matter the backstory that generated it.

Best, Galen
http://www.galenkindley.com/blog

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Poignant post. A good way to live your life is to always think this could be your last day. How do you want to spend it - how will you relate to others - how would want to be remembered by someone's last encounter with you?

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

Helen Ginger said...

We seem to be a critical people, especially those on TV who want to rev up their ratings. From what little I've seen of Edwards, I admire her.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm anxious to read Elizabeth's book. I can't understand much of what she's said and done because it's so different from how I think I would have behaved in her place. The keys words, however, are "how I think I would have behaved" because we never really know until we're faced with the same circumstances. As for The View, I boycott that show. I don't want that kind of hostility dumped into the middle of my mornings.

Patricia

Patricia Stoltey said...

Karen, Drop back by my blog if you get a chance. I answered your comment. lol

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

As a North Carolina resident, I've been following this topic pretty closely. Edwards' behavior is very upsetting, particularly in light of his wife's illness. She's a strong woman.

Elizabeth
http://tinyurl.com/omtzmt

Morgan Mandel said...

That's kind of mean to invite someone in her situation on a show and take stabs at her.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

K. A. Laity said...

I hate the idea promoted in most American media that if you have children you're supposed to be chained to them the rest of your life. It's stupid and has created a generation of lazy kids who expect to be catered to at every turn. No matter what women do -- work or stay home -- they are vilified.

The Practical Preserver said...

When will there be a rebellion against the selfish, self-serving nature of the media that conspires to create news out of people's misery. That said, why do people continue to subject themselves to situations where they are grilled and interrogated by that media? It's a puzzle to me.