Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Freedom

I am about to drive myself somewhere for the first time in seven weeks (since surgery on rotator cuff). Being trapped in the house has been frustrating, to say the least. I am meeting the woman who heads up an organization called "Reading New Mexico," a place where authors residing in NM or who have written about New Mexico, can get their book reviewed.

My publicist sent "Following the Whispers," my memoir, several months ago, but I am meeting her to see if I can help market the organization, not to find out if my book will be reviewed. It is a non-profit and she is pretty much doing it on her own. I figure my 30+ years working as a marketing and PR consultant should be put to some use (I certainly haven't put it to use for my own marketing just yet, but I will).

After that, I see the orthopedic surgeon to find out the next phase of the healing process for my shoulder. Hopefully I'll learn I can move my arm in slightly different directions, like up and away from body once again. Having the use of both arms really is necessary to function well in this world.

But I am not complaining, merely acknowledging that I've missed the freedom of movement and ability to take myself places.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I didn't know you were recovering from surgery! Hope that's going well.

I would probably go stir crazy if I couldn't drive for that period of time. You must be a wonderfully patient person....

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

alexisgrant said...

Ah! When I had knee surgery a few months ago, I was stir crazy after just a few days! Cheers to regaining your freedom!

Helen Ginger said...

I hope both your ventures go well - your meeting and your doctor's appointment. It totally sucks not being able to use an arm.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Galen Kindley said...

Hey, Karen, that’s a really nice gesture. I’ll bet anything you’re able to provide a bunch of quality insights to help, Reading New Mexico. BTW, I tried to open the link, but couldn’t. Not being critical or smarty, just want you to know.

Best Regards, Galen.
GalenKindley.com

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Galen. Fixed it. Sorry.

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Enjoy the drive. You've EARNED it, you survivor, you. :)

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love that whole idea of "Reading New Mexico." Need to find someone with the time to start a "Reading Colorado."

Hope your shoulder is all fixed. You must have had a rough time doing all these blogs and the comments.

Patricia

The Practical Preserver said...

Congratulations on getting back on the road, both metaphorically and literally. A disability wears away at you, and it's good to know you're on the mend!