Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Hair on the Toilet

Yesterday I got my haircut. The hairdresser is a lovely man, quite spiritual, and we have wonderful conversations while he is working on me. This time, he shared about the flawed relationship he has with the owner of the shop where he works.

"Let me tell you about the hair on the toilet," he said. I'm going to paraphrase here, because I can't remember enough to quote directly. One of his reponsibilities is to keep the beauty shop clean. But it makes him nervous, despite the fact that he does a good job. This is because the owner used to have a cleaning service do it, but had to let them go. The owner came into the shop one day and told my hair guy, "They're not doing an adequate job cleaning." My guy asked why. The response, "I left a hair on the toilet before they came and it was still there after they left." Now my guy thinks about the hair on the toilet every time he cleans.

This led to a great discussion about control freaks and obsessive compulsive behavior and who in our lives drives us crazy with these kinds of things, but I'll leave you here to ponder the hair on the toilet in your lives. Would this be a parable, a fable, or what?

Blessings,
karen

5 comments:

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Good idea for a metaphor to consider. My wife is a neatnik-o-maniac. My hair on the toilet is the one dirty dish on the counter in the morning that I failed to wash, dry & put away the night before.

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

Helen Ginger said...

The older I get, the less of a neat freak I become. Just no time anymore. If I ever struck it rich, I'd hire a maid service. Talk about luxury!

Helen
Straight From Hel

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

It's true that our perfectionism gets in the way a lot of times. A good thing to think about!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Patricia Stoltey said...

Funny story, the kind that strikes home. Don't most of us have little quirks that drive our spouses or our kids or our best friends crazy? Or is it just me? :)

Patricia

Anonymous said...

That is the reason why a lot of people do not know about it.
This process only allows for two removals, so
if you have multiple entries in their database, you may have to use other email addresses to remove all
instances of your information from their website. This information can help you find people or
family members, lookup business criminal and court
records or locate birth, death and marriage records.

Take a look at my blog; phone directory