Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Happy Days Are Here Again

It's Sunday morning and the overcast, somewhat rainy skies of yesterday once again shower New Mexico with sunshine. My blues lifted yesterday afternoon somewhere between taking our treadmill in to a consignment outlet and buying my mother-in-law a needlepoint needle threader. She's 88-years-young and used to be an amazing craft person, but her eyesight and dimentia have prevented her from those kinds of tasks for quite a few years now. Suddenly she wants to try again. Hey, who can blame her?

I have a new writing project swimming around in my brain--it's just a little sperm of an idea but I'm getting excited. It will be a sort of aging manifesto - guidelines to help those of us who will get there someday know or remember what to do. My mother-in-law forgets to brush her teeth and sometimes forgets how to turn the TV on and off. After caretaking my father for his last three years, and now my hubby's mom, I realize I need to get some things down on paper before I forget.

Thanks fellow B.A.D. challengers for all the good cheer yesterday. It felt wonderful!

Till next time,

Karen

9 comments:

Gayle Carline said...

That aging thing is fearful, isn't it? It's all well and good when your health and mind are okay, but when something starts to go downhill, it's enough to keep you up nights. Good luck, with your MIL and your book - sounds like something we all need!

Gayle
http://gaylecarline.blogspot.com

Marvin D. Wilson said...

That's a GREAT idea for a book. Especially with the massive aging baby boomer generation, it would have the potential for huge sales.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I hope your mother-in-law is able to enjoy her needlepointing again. I believe I remember reading that some activities aren't affected by memory loss? I'll hope for the best for you both.
Elizabeth
http://www.mysterywritingismurder.blogspot.com/

Cranky Mom said...

My grandmother is sliding into dementia, and my mom is taking care of her. She keeps telling me she doesn't want to end up like my grandma (her mom) so the book sounds like a fabulous idea!

Jennifer Taggart
www.thesmartmama.com

K. A. Laity said...

I think skills in the fingers are the last to go. Your hands remember things that they have done repeatedly and those skills become so automatic that they quickly return. At least let's hope so.

N A Sharpe said...

It is so difficult to see a loved one who suffers from dimentia decline - skills that used to be almost second nature become a chore...forgotten. I think that would e a great idea for a book. Good luck!

NA Sharpe
http://nancysharpe.blogspot,com

Enid Wilson said...

I like the tentative title "Ageing manifesto"! Ageing is such a "strange" phase in life, I think we should learn more about it.

Fantasy Stories by Enid

~Sia McKye~ said...

If you've done crafts all your life and then can't it is demoralizing. It was the same for my grandmother. Crafts were a way she fed her creative side. There were times she'd forget things, but certain things, crocheting, floral arranging, were things she seem to do without thought. She could be telling you a story about someone long ago, in the family, and be busily crocheting or arranging flowers and not miss a beat. I lost her at 83 just this year.

My mom is 72, still going strong, thank god, and her home is her craft. She's always arranging the rooms, the decor, making throw pillow covers and changing the look of the room, removing throw blankets and putting new ones up, rearranging knick-nacks. She does the same with her flowers outside and her hanging gardens.

When I was in college, many moons ago, one of the jobs I held was running a private boarding house for elderly citizens. Very austere and a clinical feel to it although it was a beautiful old home. As I got to know the 20 people in the home and realized their knowledge base, we started doing things to make it feel like a home. The living room was blah but these women started filling it with pretty things they made. I never treated them like children and let them help with chores they could do. Flowerbeds were created and soon color and laughter abounded. It's important.

Sounds like you have the beginning of a great idea and one that is needed.

Jina Bacarr said...

I loved your post. Very caring yet informative. I can feel your passion for your subject matter and the warm feelings you have for your mother-in-law. Very nice post.