Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Rain

I was 15 when the Beatles came to Shea Stadium in NYC and appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show - and the music world was never the same. My parents wouldn't let me go see them, but I remember sitting on the edge of their bed (the tv was in their bedroom), bouncing up and down singing, "She Loves You." My Dad said, "Oh, they'll never last." But oh, that music lives in my soul.

Yesterday I saw "Rain," a show with four musicians who look and sound just like the Beatles. It was an incredible experience hearing the music played live rather than listening to records. I don't know about you, but when I hear certain songs, I am totally transported to the place and time where I first heard the music and all those emotions bubble to the surface.

Popejoy, the theater on University of New Mexico Campus, was sold out for this performance and what was astounding was the audience was comprised of three generations, maybe four. There were mostly folks my age (50s to 60s). There were a few in their 70s, lots of people in their 30s and 40s, and some babies. Even the teenagers knew the music. What a nice way to bring people together.

Even in my sling, I could dance and sway one arm to and fro, singing at the top of my lungs with the rest of the folks. It made me realize I miss going to live music concerts. When I lived in NYC, there were free concerts in Central Park - I've seen James Taylor, Elton John, Diana Ross, Don McLean. Here in Albuquerque, we don't get big time entertainment.

Did you know that "Rain" was the B side of the hit "Paperback Writer." I didn't - never heard of the song. They didn't play it in the concert, either, which made me think about titles. How important is it that the title reflect something of what you are going to see. I expected to hear the song "Rain"and didn't. I wasn't disappointed, because the concert was fabulous, but is the same true for books? Just wondering...

Blessings,

Karen



9 comments:

N A Sharpe said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful concert. I think we make emotional connetions with certain things (a favorite song, a favorite food) that everytime we hear the opening chords to the song or smell that favorite dish definietly whisk us back to that special memory.

You got to see legends like Elton John, James Taylor, and Diana Ross for free? Wow. Color me jealous! That is amazing. I love concerts but haven't been to one in years. Great post, Karen.

NA Sharpe
http://nasharpe.blogspot.com

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Music takes me back to specific life events, many times. I watched Rain on PBS last year and really enjoyed the group.

If the title is particularly evocative, then I do look for the connection in the text of the book. I'm disappointed when I don't find it or can't figure out the connection.
Elizabeth
http://mysterywritingismurder.blogspot.com/

julielomoe said...

Love your post about the Beatles. Bragging time - I saw both Shea Stadium concerts! Couldn't hear the music over the screaming, though, and what I could hear was very raggedy.

I was getting my MFA in painting at Columbia when the Beatles broke, and I became immediately obsessed. Most of my master's exhibition consisted of huge, idolatrous Beatle paintings. I got to know a disc jockey on WABC who actually managed to smuggle me and my paintings up the elevator to the Beatles' private suite. We got into the foyer, and then he went in to see if they were available, but came back out to announce "Sorry, John and Paul are asleep." I meekly said "Oh,OK," and took the elevator back down. It's one of the great regrets of my life that I didn't say, "That's OK, I'll go wake them up." As a groupie, I was an abject failure.

And yes, I do remember the single "Rain" - I liked it much better than the flip side, "Paperback Writer," though Pal's portrayal of the yearning unknown writer was spot-on.

Stephen Tremp said...

I saw rain on Public Television. They would show part of a taped show like the beginning years. They were dressed in a black suit and tie and sing songs from the early years, and then break for calls and donations.

Then came the next act and they were dressed in Sgt. Pepper attire and wigs and play songs from that era. I think there were four acts in all with relevant costumes and wigs. Very cool.

Galen Kindley said...

I've a little different perspective. We both live in the same town, but, I just moved here in January from Seattle. So, when I saw your title, I thought, "Oh no, it's not gonna rain, is it? We moved here to get away from that stuff."

So, maybe titles are driven by individual perspectives. In this case I was glad to see my perspective...as usual...was way off in left field.

Best Regards, Galen.
http://www.galenkindley.com

AlanChinWriter said...

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to google Rain and see if they're planning a concert near me anytime soon. I love the music of that era. I think music is something that gets burned on the brain and never leaves you, or is it that the love of it never leaves you?

alan chin
author of Island Song,
http://alanchinwriter.blogspot.com

alexisgrant said...

This is one everyone can relate to... Love the imagery of you swaying in your sling!

Jina Bacarr said...

Thankz for taking us with you to the concert!! I loved the British film "Backbeat," which ichronicles the early days of the Beatles in Hamburg. Fun post.

Jina

http://tinyurl.com/BerlinSexDiary

K. A. Laity said...

My mother in law saw the Beatles in Milwaukee. She still has her ticket stub and the receipt for it: $5! Have you ever seen the Concert for George? It's a wonderful DVD and the love people had for him is so touching to see -- and of course, the music is all terrific. He was such a beautiful person.