Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday Morning Blues

Woke up this morning with the blues. Not sure why - could be a letdown after 60th birthday bash and book launch party. Could be that my right arm (and yes, I'm a rightie) has been in a sling for 3 weeks after rotator cuff surgery and I still have 3 weeks to go in the sling. Could be that I'm trapped in the house unless someone kidnaps me and takes me out. Could be all of the above. I spend most of my time trolling on the computer, checking my various social networking sites, emails, and now the book blog tour class work. I've been reading a bunch as well. Just finished "People of the Book," by Geraldine Brooks. Fabulous historical novel about the Sarajevo Hagaddah (a text used on Jewish holiday of Passover). The auther wove a fictional story around this very real 500+ years artifact that held me spellbound.

Typing is still difficult. I have to position the laptap in a very awkward way in order to reach the keyboard with my right hand and can't stay in position that long. Whine, whine, whine.

Looking forward to getting to know my fellow blog tour classmates. It will be an interesting journey. Till later,

Karen

11 comments:

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Nice post - very candid and intimate. Hope you heal well and soon. Having it difficult to key is not a good situation for a writer. :(

Marvin D Wilson
http://inspiritandtruths.blogspot.com/
http://tiedyedtirades.blogspot.com/

alexisgrant said...

60 and you're in a BBT class? I'm impressed! Kudos to you. And good-looking blog!

K. A. Laity said...

My sympathies, Karen. I know how irritating an injury can be when you really just want to get things done. I did some massive damage to my left ankle last August and I'm still doing work on recovery. Don't be afraid of using the sympathy angle to get someone to come entertain you or kidnap you and take you somewhere fun!

The Practical Preserver said...

I sympathize with the rotator cuff. took me about 6 months to heal. I didn't want surgery. we'll have fun in this class and learn a great deal.

Enid Wilson said...

My sister had her 60th birthday last year and she has less energy than before too. Karen, our body may age with time but let's hope our love for live remains young.

Enid
http://steamyfantasy.blogspot.com

Lynnette Labelle said...

Sorry to hear about the sling. Hope you feel better soon.

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

AlanChinWriter said...

Enjoyed the post but hoping your arm improves quickly. I've had a shoulder injury that's kept off the tennis courts for the past 6 months. Just getting back into the game. Hope those blues are gone by tomorrow.

©DGreer said...

Now doesn't all this company make you feel better? Nice B.A.D. start! :)

Dani
http://twitter.com/blogbooktours

N A Sharpe said...

Kudos to you for still writing with your arm in a sling! Oh, byt the way...happy belated birthday!

NA Sharpe
http://nancysharpe.blogspot.com

drmani said...

Karen, you remind me of my inspiration, Glenda Watson Hyatt, a lady better known as the 'left thumb blogger' :-)

http://www.doitmyselfblog.com/

Get well soon. And hope the company of your fellow Blog Book Tour classmates cheers you up a little!

All success
Dr.Mani
Author: 'Think, Write & RETIRE!'
http://ThinkWriteRetire.com

conarnold said...

Sorry you are having trouble with your rotator cuff, and having to try to do things in a sling. I can certanly sympathize since I once had a frozen shoulder and wore a sling for weeks. You are quite dedicated to be doing a blog in that shape, and I admire the great job you are doing!