Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, May 11, 2009

Understanding Twitter

I want to pay homage in today's blog to one of my book blog tour classmates, Karen Brees. All the links and other information I'd received explained terminology, but what I was missing, and Karen so graciously supplied, was the concept. I didn't ask her permission to post her comments here, so I will simply say that she compared Twitter to an old-fashioned ticker tape that newsrooms had--whereby news items constantly stream through the machine. So a tweet only appears visible for a short period of time. She also explained searching Twitter for things that might apply to me and my interests, so when I searched memoir, I found a bunch of people I could choose to follow that have similar interests. Eureka! She said more but that's enough of an explanation for this blog entry. Thanks, Karen. I'm forever grateful.

The whole episode of me "not getting" Twitter reminds me so much of being a child in school and not understanding math. Timid as I was, I could never raise my hand to ask questions, so as the teacher moved forward, I shifted backwards in my ability to grasp new concepts. Luckily, it was only in math--I excelled in other subjects. When I went back to school at 53 years old to complete my college degree, those old feelings were still there. But this time, I was able to ask questions, as well as contribute my thoughts and opinions to discussions. It was a real growth experience for me, as one of the older students, to gain the respect and comraderie of people less than half my age.

Taking this book blog class is another such example. There are many new concepts, tools, and ideas for me to grasp and the pace is swift. It's a great class and our teacher, Dani, has a lot on her plate to provide the information and assignments in a timely manner and manage all of our questions, concerns, complaints, ideas, etc.

Sending gratitude to her, to those in previous classes, and my current classmates, for their patience, understanding, and support. I truly do love learning new things--I just hate the stress I put myself through while doing it.

Karen

9 comments:

alexisgrant said...

Oh, but you're getting it! And kudos to you for taking the time and putting the effort in.

Once you "get" Twitter, you will wonder how you lived without it. Just takes some practice!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

You're doing well, Karen! That's so funny how we both blogged on Twitter today. I still don't "get it," but I have a feeling it will all come with time (and a little tinkering with it.)
Elizabeth
http://mysterywritingismurder.blogspot.com/

Karen Brees said...

Wow! Thanks Karen. Funny, I too had something basic in math pass me by and I've struggled with math my entire life as a result. Other areas were fine - loved history and languages - but math and I weren't sympatico.

Twitter is fun and you'll get up to speed soon!

http://www.karenkbrees.com
http://www.practicalpreserving.blogspot.com

Galen Kindley said...

Hi, Karen, Yes, Karen B is pretty sharp, and a darn good writer, as well. I never noticed that you needed any particular help, but, you found a fine source for it. Good job to you both.
Best Regards, Galen
http://www.galenkindley.com

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Don't feel bad about Twitter. I was in the last blogger class and I'm using this one as my remedial course! At the rate I'm going, I may have to lurk through yet a third!

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

AlanChinWriter said...

Very nice blog entry today. Thanks for opening up and sharing so much of yourself.

alan chin
writer, Island Song
http:alanchinwriter.blogspot.com

N A Sharpe said...

I'm with you on Twitter - so many people say it is so easy because it is so short...guess that's why I don't get it. Unless you hang out there all day, aren't you missing the posts of those you are following? I'll catch on sooner or later I suppose. Sigh.

NA Sharpe
http://nasharpe.blogspot.com

K. A. Laity said...

When I went back to school at 53 years old to complete my college degree, those old feelings were still there. But this time, I was able to ask questions, as well as contribute my thoughts and opinions to discussions.This is why I LOVE non-traditional students. My favourite students are usually those who have gone out and lived before they came back to college. The difference is remarkable and they are so much easier to share the experience of learning with -- that's the secret of teaching, it's all about learning.

Enid Wilson said...

Karen, you've done very well. You write in very friendly way. I agree the group is great. I've learned a lot, with both joy and frustration.

In Quest of Theta Magic