Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, June 5, 2009

Beating the blues

Depression is insidious. It creeps up on you without warning and before you know it, you feel as if there is a wet blanket draped around you, your legs feel like they weigh two tons apiece, your heart sits heavy in your chest, you can hardly muster the energy to breathe, and your body feels as if it is super-glued to the couch.

I've battled depression before and won. Usually it's been situationally triggered, like when I lost custody of my four-year-old son, or when my second husband fell in love with my best friend, or when I fractured my ankle in three places and couldn't walk for months.

It's not quite as bad this time around. And I can't pinpoint a trigger event. I'm just blue. Low energy, not quite stuck to the couch. I do manage to get up and do my physical therapy, walk around the park behind our house, run errands. But I have to make myself do all these things.

This weekend I'm going to go back to an old, powerful therapeutic tool - journal-writing. With my trusty notebook and pen in hand, I will write about my feelings until I become clear about the malaise which has descended upon me. Until then, dear blog pals, I leave you to your weekends and wish you a good one.

Blessings,
karen

12 comments:

Stephen Tremp said...

Hi Karen,

Best wished to you as you find your outlet and journal this weekend. And do something special for yourself that you haven't done in years, even if its a bit on the nutty side.

- Steve Tremp
http://www.stephentremp.blogspot.com/

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm not prone to depression, Karen, but I've also been a bit sluggish and tired the last few days. Maybe it's something less threatening, like spring fever or after B.A.D. challenge blues. The journal is a good idea.

Patricia

conarnold said...

Praying that you find a glimpse of God's grace in your weekend and a lifting of your depression, Karen!

N A Sharpe said...

Take time to take care of you. I hope the journal writing helps.

Nancy, from Just a Thought…

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Hope you're better soon, Karen.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

alexisgrant said...

HUGS, Karen! Remind yourself of all you have going. And that we all feel that way sometimes. To prove it, posting a link to my travel blog, a time when I was feeling very blue: http://tinyurl.com/lddqns

Helen Ginger said...

Write in your journal. Put on your favorite music. Maybe watch your favorite comedic movie a (mine's Jumping Jack Flash). I'll be thinking of you.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Just Be Real said...

Karen, thank you for sharing. Be gentle with yourself. Blessings.

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Meditation works for me. Maybe some good music also, or a walk out in nature. Whatever makes your molecules hum. You'll be fine, don't well - and especially don't stress. :)

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Mm - meant to say, "Don't 'dwell.'"

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

alexisgrant said...

Glad you liked the post, Karen. And one from the other end, a happy one! This is your next step :)
http://allonsy.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/zen/

Morgan Mandel said...

Keeping busy or being among friends helps sometimes. Hope you snap out of it. Stuff happens you have no control over, yet life must go on, so why not make the most of it.

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com