Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Crazy Enough

My friends took me to see a show today called "Crazy Enough." It's actually a memoir in music. A woman, Storm Large, speaks and sings her life. She is an amazing writer, singer, and entertainer, and I was moved in ways I never have been just from reading memoir. If she ever takes this show on the road, it is a must see.
Blessings,
Karen

3 comments:

N A Sharpe said...

Sounds wonderful - I'll keep an eye out for it if she decides to take it on the road!

Nancy, from Just a Thought…

Joanne said...

I love it when genres are blended like this, really bringing out the art in both. I'm really curious can you tell us about the gist of her memoir, what it was about at its heart?

Karen Walker said...

Her mom was mentally ill (the specific illness was not mentioned). The doctor told Storm when she was nine years old that it was genetic and she would most likely get it as well. Growing up with a "crazy" mom and with the fear of going crazy herself, how that impacted her life, her choices, the way she felt about herself, is what it's about.
Blessings,
Karen