Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, June 8, 2009

Listening to the Whispers

I think it's about time I started listening to the whispers. After all, I wrote a book about it, didn't I? But in order to listen, I must take a time out, stop doing everything I'm doing, and get quiet. The whispers cannot come through the noise of the internet, the television, listening to music, singing, dancing, or whatever else I choose in a particular day to spend my time doing.

The only "doing" activity that promotes the receptivity of listening is journal-writing, because there, I am only listening to my own thoughts. It usually begins with getting down all the chatter cluttering my brain. All the hurt feelings, frustrations, anger, sadness, that has built up inside. Pouring all that emotion onto the page brings it from inside of me, up and out where I can release it into the universe. From that empty space, the whispers come.

Saturday morning I woke up with the blues from the previous day gone. But I still needed to pay attention to those feelings--to discover what led to them. I'm still working it through, but I can tell you it was about not listening to the inner voice of wisdom. I don't know about you, but for me, the consequences of that are not pleasant.

Blessings,
Karen

9 comments:

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Totally agree. The quiet inner voice of wisdom, I call it God talking, can scarcely be heard with a noisy mind. The Psalms say, "Be still and know that I am God."

Glad to hear you're feeling better. :)

The Old Silly From Free Spirit Blog

Karen Walker said...

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom, Marvin. Hope all is well in your world.
Karen

Patricia Stoltey said...

Bad days are no fun. I'm glad things are better now. Does journaling work better for you than meditation?

Patricia

julielomoe said...

I saw your comment on Patricia's blog, where you sounded down because your number of hits had dropped after the Blog-A-Day challenge. Mine have dropped too, if that's any consolation. I think folks are just zeroing in on their specific genres and of necessity being more selective about where they focus their energies. For example, I'm focusing on mystery writers.

You have lots of comments, though, including one from Marvin today - I haven't heard from him recently. So you do have followers. Be of good cheer!

Julie Lomoe
Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso
http://julielomoe.wordpress.com

N A Sharpe said...

Karen, I am glad you seem to be feeling a little better. You have learned a lesson that many never learn and you have the grace to share your wisdom to simply slow down - no distrations - just listen. That is wonderful advice. I love the tranquility that envelopes your blog. It is a haven, a place that feels very tranquil.

Continue your journaling and keep your inner peace.

Nancy, from Just a Thought…

alexisgrant said...

Isn't it funny that even though you wrote a book about following the whispers, you still have to remind yourself to do it? I think that's human nature. A good reminder for all of us.

Galen Kindley--Author said...

I see in a tweet that you're headed for the Northwest. I just left there in February, so, miss it very little. But, I hope your trip is great and you find some good weather. Travel safe.

Best Regards, Galen.

Joanne said...

I think it's so important to take regular time and just "be" in the moments, to absorb the quiet, to listen to nature around us, to see things clearly. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Karen. You'd mentioned taking a blog book tour class ... my blog is a hosting blog on WOW Women On Writing's Book tours, and I'm hosting an author this Monday. I hope you'll stop by for a visit and chat with the author, they're great fun.

Stephen Tremp said...

Karen,

Its so important to be still and listen for that still, small voice. But I'm confident you'll find inner-healing as you journalize, and then be able to communicate your thoughts that can help others.

- Steve Tremp
http://stephentremp.blogspot.com/