Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Maintaining Balance

It's hard to maintain balance while traveling. Different routine. Small, tight space for stuff. Dealing with other peoples' moods and quirks and idiocyncrocies. Dealing with them dealing with mine. Woke up wanting to go home, even though everything is quite wonderful and I love the friends I'm with. That feeling tells me I'm off balance, but not sure why.

The energy in the world is strange. Iran is erupting in revolutionary behavior. Our economy is still tanked. My 66-year-old friend is struggling with financial worries vis-a-vis retirement and will he have enough. There's no way of knowing how long we'll live.

My energy is scattered. I'm grieving the loss of a three-year relationship with a teacher; I'm struggling to maintain my weight and manage food while away from home; I'm anxious about missing my book blog class assignments while away; and I'm excited about new projects brimming on the horizon.

So maintaining balance is a challenge. Just need to keep reminding myself to get grounded and centered and keep bringing myself back to that space. And do the best I can in each and every moment. That's all any of us can ask of ourselves.

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

The Practical Preserver said...

Traveling can be unsettling. You're out of your routine, even though the decision to travel is of your own making. I'm just back from 12 days away and the first thing I did was weed the veggies. No laundry. No unpacking. Just needed to literally "ground" myself.

These are unsettling times, to repeat the first sentence's theme. There's so little we have control over. The best we can do is take a deep breath and be grateful for the moment.

Joanne said...

It's a fine line we walk, maintaining that balance, but I think the wavering is all part of it. I like your idea to stay centered, to embrace the moment at hand. It seems like a way to live a full day. Enjoy!

Marvin D Wilson said...

Balance is very important. Staying centered, following the Middle Way is best. Good must today. :)

The Old Silly

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Great philosophy---doing the best we can in each minute and not getting overwhelmed by the big picture.

Thanks Karen!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Jeannie Campbell said...

i'm all for balance. just trying to find it, that's all. :)

Helen Ginger said...

Sounds like you're being pulled in different directions and feeling discombobulated (is that an actual word?). I feel that, too, sometimes. Just getting back home to my own bed and my own pillow helps.

Try to compartmentalize and put those things away so you can enjoy the trip. It'll all be waiting for you.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Galen Kindley--Author said...

I agree with Karen’s thought in the first comment, travel is unsettling. After the initial euphoria is over, I'm never sad to leave a place and always glad to get home.

Best regards, Galen
GalenKindley.com

Stephen Tremp said...

I am so out of my element when travelling. There is no replacement for your own bed. What I do when I feel imbalanced is do something crazy. Not run up and down the street naked crazy. But something out of the ordinary, something I've always wanted to do but haven't, or something I'd never do but seen someone else do.

- Steve Tremp

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

It seems that the older I get, the more I want to stay home and not disrupt my routine. However, I tell myself that's it's good to force myself out of a rut. When I go away, I enjoy myself but I am always so happy to get back home again. I hope you are able to find that balance you need so you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

JaneKennedySutton </a

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Found your blog on My Own Velvet Room. So happy I visited! Will be back soon!

Were you in my head today? Just thinking about the same thing. I've always been a fast forward, people person. I don't know why, maybe it's the same things you're posting about, but I'm prefering to stay home a lot more and be in more "quiet time". I enjoy a friend coming for tea or dinner, but avoiding large groups and crowds.

N A Sharpe said...

It is such a fine line every day trying to maintain balance and focus, but when traveling there are many tings out of your control increasing anxiety for maintaining the delicate balance of life. Seems to be a recurring theme playing in many of our heads. Thanks for articulating it so well.

Nancy, from Just a Thought…