Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, June 19, 2009

My Spiritual Home

On the plane from Albuquerque to Portland I spent the time reading and talking to my seat mates. As we drew close to Portland, I turned my attention out the window, hoping the flight plan would take us past the Columbia gorge and magnificent Mt. Hood. I wasn't disappointed. The 11,000 ft peak poked through the dense clouds and as we got closer, I felt as if I could reach out and touch the snow-capped mountain. I can't really explain how I feel about this mountain except that it feels magical to me. When I look at it, my breathing slows, there is peace in my heart, and I feel my spirit expand.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Joanne said...

Sounds like a beautiful journey that you are taking!

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Love those kind of serendipitous "god moments." :)

The Old Silly From Free Spirit blog

The Practical Preserver said...

It's easy to understand why the Native Americans found these magnificent landforms to be sacred places. They speak to the spirit.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sounds like you're already having a wonderful time. Enjoy!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Connie Arnold said...

Sounds like a wonderful glimpse of the majesty and beauty of God's magnificent creation!

Helen Ginger said...

How nice that it affects you that way. I sometimes hear a certain song and it'll do the same thing to me.

Helen
Straight From Hel

N A Sharpe said...

Snow capped mountains make such a serene backdrop. I totally understand the feeling of something magical there. Have a wonderful time, Karen.

Nancy, from Just a Thought…

julielomoe said...

Your post evokes memories of my flight from New York to Seattle around this time last year. Those snowy mountains are truly spectacular. I was awed by the vast expanses of landscape with no signs of human habitation.

Julie Lomoe
Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso

theoldsilly said...

Case you haven't heard, my Google account, along with my blogs, was obliterated for no good and/or stated reasons. I have a new blog started, still under construction - but please visit and follow?

The Old Silly

L. Diane Wolfe said...

BTW - I lived in Albuquerque four years and Salem, OR is my hometown. What are the odds?

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net