Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Vacation

On Wednesday I leave for Portland, Oregon for a 10-day vacation. I lived there for 10 years, from 1984 to 1994 and still miss the lush green foliage, magical Mt. Hood, the Japanese Rose Garden, the Columbia River Gorge, and the ravishing beauty of the Oregon Coast.

I've been in a writing slump since my memoir, "Following the Whispers" was launched in February. All my energy, focus, and attention has been on marketing the book. Well, and recovering from shoulder surgery, helping a friend deal with her dying mom, and living an active life with my hubby.

Trying to find a balance so that I can write, market, and live has eluded me. The vacation is more or less a retreat. Two of the 10 days will be spent at a beach house in Rockaway, Oregon with my dear sister of the heart, Clara. We intend to do workshops together, based on my story and her forgiveness work. This will be a key part of my marketing strategy for the memoir.
Outlines for two other writing projects are also on the agenda: one, a guidebook on aging, tentatively titled "Things to Remember When You Start to Forget," and the other a novel that has been floating in my head for 15+ years. That's the one that has me stuck--having never written fiction.

Vacations are a great way to disconnect from daily life, re-group, and come back re-charged and energized. So from 6/17 to 6/26, posts on this blog will be short and sweet--updates on the works in progress, reconnecting more fully in July.

Blessings,
Karen

6 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

My advice for a book stuck in your head is to get it out of your head. I don't mean sit down and start writing. It sounds like you're not ready for that yet. Find a spiral notebook or even a pocket size notepad and jot down thoughts and ideas when they come to you. Nothing organized. When you think you're ready then start FAPping (see my article on Free Association Plotting on my website at: http://helenginger.com/writing_advice.htm#fapping). You'll begin to see the story take shape.

Have fun on vacation. You're the second friend who's heading out this week for fun and relaxation. I'm heading out, but to a conference (not writing, unfortunately). It won't be all that much fun. I'm going to have to put on (gasp) hose for the formal banquet. It's Texas, people - it's too hot for hose!

Helen
Straight From Hel

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I love the title - Things to Remember When You Start to Forget! Your trip sounds like the perfect way to get those creative juices flowing again. Hope you have a fabulous time.

JaneKennedySutton

Karen Walker said...

Helen, thanks for the tip - I'll definitely check out your website. Hose? You've got to be kidding!
Jane, Glad you like the title. I do,too. Have a great week.
Karen

Joanne said...

Sounds like a perfect getaway ... Enjoy! Sometimes just stepping away from our work for awhile does wonders for recharging the spirit, the thought process. Have fun!

Marvin D. Wilson said...

Nothing wrong with short and sweet posts at all. Enjoy the vacation. :)

The Old Silly From Free Spirit Blog

The Practical Preserver said...

You have a gift for titles that pique the interest. By the way, have you seen my glasses anywhere? I'm wandering around the house like a dispossessed nomad.