Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Keeping the retreat experience going

Re-entry after a retreat is discombobulating. While on retreat, the everyday world of television, radio, cell phones, and internet disappears, leaving room for nature and creativity, soul-searching, journalling, and connecting with deeper parts of myself.

When my husband is home, the television is always on. During the day, while he is at work, the house is quiet, but the phone is not. The internet beckons and there are many demands on my time. The energy which surged through me at Twin Rocks is still there, but it is quieter. I know all I need do is make the time and space available, and The Muse will once more whisper guidance.

Only I can control how I use my time. Maybe I am being overly ambitious. But I don't want to let go of any of the writing projects, putting two on hold while I work on one. It remains to be seen whether this goal is attainable.

Tomorrow I begin interviews for the aging book and talk with a spiritual bookstore about doing a workshop as a marketing venue for "Following the Whispers." That's balance of marketing and writing. Hope my energy holds up.

By the way, blogger is not publishing pre-prepared posts. Bummer!

Blessings,
Karen

5 comments:

alexisgrant said...

Good for you on getting publication going!

I just found out that I won't have cell-phone service during my 5 week writer's residency at Hambidge. I just about choked! Glad to hear that helps you focus.

Helen Ginger said...

It does refresh the spirit to get away for a while. Try to hang onto it 'cause the world will creep back in and take over.

A note to Alexis -- enjoy not having a phone. During my 4 weeks at the Vermont Studio Center, which is in a valley, I had no cell service. If I wanted to make a call, I'd climb a huge hill to the nearby college where I could get above the tree and find service. It was actually wonderful not having the cell.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Marvin D Wilson said...

Bummer indeed! Discombobulating - hey I totally forgot about that word! :)

The Old Silly

Stephen Tremp said...

Time management, the ultimate mistress. I now get up at 5 - 6 a.m. and research, write, and blog until noon. Then I spend the afternoon with the family. Today: Disneyland. Evenings its back to writing.

I squeeze in other tasks whenever I can. I tell my wife to make a list of things she wants me to do. No more spontaneous requests. Yeah, right.

- Steve Tremp
http://stephentremp.blogspot.com/

Galen Kindley--Author said...

You seem to have struck a nice balance. The nice thing is the energy you found has settled into a nice, steady rhythm. You and it are out of the infatuation stage.


Best regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog