Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Meeting the Muse Part II


Thanks to everyone who visited my blog while I was on retreat. Today is the first day since coming home that I am able to sit down, focus, and write. The retreat was a much-needed opportunity to re-group and re-energize.

After seeing old friends and getting acquainted with the new aspects of Portland, my sister of the heart, Clara, and I went to Twin Rocks, Oregon, a tiny beach community about 15 miles north of Tillamook. It is a less populated part of the Oregon coast than Lincoln City or Cannon Beach. Our beach rental was a small, two-bedroom cottage with fabulous views of the ocean and the aptly named twin rocks.

I had some emotional and psychological stuff that had accumulated during my recovery from shoulder surgery as well as the grieving process associated with letting go of a three-year teacher/student relationship which had been a huge part of my life, so the first few hours of the retreat were spent releasing that negative energy. Ritual and prayer are important parts of my spiritual life and, in the moment, I created a brief ritual to let go. I was unprepared for the whoosh of energy that surged through me as the negative energy left and I was flooded with a powerful feeling, similar to what I experienced at my book launch. There, it was as if I stepped into the person I was trying to become all these years. At the beach, that expanded even further.

From that elevated sense of Spirit within, I invited my Muse into my life. Some things must be kept private, but I will say it was a profoundly moving experience. I then worked with Mark David Gerson's book, "Voice of the Muse," doing the meditations and writing exercises. I highly recommend this writing guide--it is as if a very gentle, loving writing coach is whispering in your ear.

Over the coarse of the next few days, I noticed subtle changes in my way of being in the world. I'd reached a point where I could ask for what I want, but it had never been comfortable or easy for me to do so. That changed. Another example is when I saw two friends talking in a corner of the room, I no longer felt left out or jealous. Or if I did think a negative thought or feel "less than," I noticed it immediately and was able to shift the energy. For me, these are life-changing shifts.
As for the writing, I have three new projects I will begin working on this week: 1) a novel that has been in the back of my mind for 20 years; 2) a book on ceremony and ritual; and 3) the boomer aging book I've mentioned before.

I have a clear idea of how to move forward with each of these books now. Balancing this new writing with the continued marketing of the memoir, "Following the Whispers," will be my biggest challenge.

One major result of the retreat is a decision to change my morning routine. First prayer/meditation, then writing, then exercise, then internet work. My priorities were upside down.

Blessings,
Karen

5 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

Wow, Karen, it sounds like you took giant steps forward and made some major shifts in your life. That's fabulous. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your progress.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Galen Kindley--Author said...

From the tone and sound of your post, this was a very positive time for you. Nicely done and congratulations. I envy you starting three writing projects and marketing. I can only market. So, well done, Karen.

Best regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have a quick question about your blog, please contact me back at bhawthorne@maacenter.org.

Excited to hear back from you!

Bill

Joanne said...

Wow, those twin rocks are inspiring in themselves! Beautiful nature going on there. I like the shift in your schedule, moving writing to earlier in the day. I do the same, writing more effectively in the a.m. before fatigue sets in. I find my schedule to be more productive that way.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Sounds like one very worthwhile trip. I can't imagine even thinking about starting 3 new projects at one time much less doing it. Good for you. Those twin rocks must put out some powerfully good vibes!

JaneKennedySutton