Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Settling into a groove

I think I have finally settled into a comfortable groove as a writer. For a long time after I completed my memoir and it was in production to be published, I simply couldn't find the energy or the focus to begin new projects. Even after the book launched in February, 2009, my energy went to learning how to market it.

I've missed writing so much. It is one of the major ways my soul gets fed. Since I've come back from the writing retreat, my intention has been to strike a balance between marketing "Following the Whispers," and new writing. It's finally happening.

Balancing is not easy when one has many priorities. I don't have a clue how those of you who are still raising children manage to do that and write. I have an aging parent, a husband, friends, a singing group, folkdancing, exercise, and physical therapy to fit into a week. Plus I don't work well when every minute of every day is scheduled. I'm learning that sometimes I have to give up something I really want to do in order to make room for something else that is taking priority in that particular moment. And that's okay. I'm also learning to say no. Did you know that "no" is a complete sentence?

Oh, I forgot blogging in the above list. And visiting other blogs, which I thoroughly enjoy. Maybe I have to start getting up earlier. We'll see.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

It's hard, isn't it? I think the trick is to not feel guilty about shortchanging any of the different priorities. It goes in cycles for me--one day I get a ton done on my WIP, but maybe I didn't spend as much time with my children. The next day, I make up for that, but don't spend as much time with my WIP. It all seems to shake out in the end.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Joanne said...

I think it is important to have a routine, a schedule, that includes writing. It gives it the priority it deserves. Having it on the schedule makes it a daily part of life in some way, even if it's just writing blog posts one day. Our lives are certainly richer for it!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I don't know how people with kids do it either!
With several releases this year, I've got both pre & post marketing going on at the same time. Plus I'm a professional speaker, so it's a merry-go-round of booking, promoting & doing those events.

I finally realized that the chaos in my life IS the balance!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Yep, I'm at a loss to explain how full-time parents and outside-the-home job holders get any of this done. Before I retired, I could maybe manage work, some home things and bed. Well, I guess I should include fly fishing. THat was about it. My hat is off to the working moms and dads out there who do it all. I'm retired full time and can't keep up.

Best regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Helen Ginger said...

"Did you know that "no" is a complete sentence?" - this is something I've learned (actually quite recently). It works, too. A solicitor calls on the phone and asks me to do something, I simply say, "no." Nothing else. No inching open the door for them to counter. Just no. Nancy was right, just say no.

It's a trick you have to learn in order to carve time for writing (or painting, or whatever your passion is).

Helen
Straight From Hel

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I love it when I find that groove but I have a hard time maintaining it. I agree with the other comments, that I don't know how people with full-time jobs and/or kids do it.

JaneKennedySutton

The Old Silly said...

Groovy that you found your groove. :)

The Old Silly

N A Sharpe said...

I want to know how y'all got the wisdom that "no" is a sentence and use it so well...teach me!Please!

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love what I do, but I never get everything done. Knowing that, I'm learning to set priorities for each day and knock those off the list first thing. It might be working...

The Practical Preserver said...

Writing often gets shoved to the back burner. There's so much else that has to be done. However, I'm happiest when I'm writing and find myself thinking about my WIP most when I'm doing a chore I love least.