Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Telling the Truth Tuesday

Telling the Truth Tuesday is a new feature on this blog. We all tell little white lies, to ourselves as well as to others. Sometimes it is to avoid hurting other peoples' feelings. Sometimes it is to make others think better of us. Whatever the reasons, I now realize that I at least need to tell the truth to myself.

As many of you know, I have been struggling to find balance--balance between writing, marketing, being a wife, a friend, a daughter-in-law, one who exercises, does physical therapy for her arm, etc. etc. I finally found a routine that works--if I get up at 6:30 am, I can do everything except writing by 8 or 8:30 am. That is if my husband doesn't lock me out of the house. This morning, he joined me for a few minutes as I walked in the park behind our house. He had to get to work, so he took the dog in with him. When I finished my walk, I went into our backyard and found the door locked.

Now here's my truth for the day. I have two selves--a higher self and a human self. My higher self knew he didn't do it on purpose. It was just force of habit. My human self wanted to strangle him. Really. I lost a precious hour. I had to ask a handyman to borrow his cell phone so I could call the husband at work. He had ridden his bike, so it took awhile for him to get to work, ride back home and let me in. I tried telling myself there was nothing I could do about it, so just relax. Did that work? Nope.

The funny thing about this whole episode is that while I was walking, the sliding door leading to our back door flashed into my mind locked, but I didn't pay attention. Does this mean I'm psychic? Or psycho? Anyway, that's why this blog is later than usual.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Galen Kindley--Author said...

The sliding door image is a good thing. If you start to channel anything like a series of numbers resembling a lotto ticket, do not ignore this. Go immediately to the first little snack pack you can find and buy said ticket. Then, after winning, you can share your largess with...well, anyone who helped you see "the way." Now, who might that be???

Best regards, Galen

Imagineering Fiction Blog

N A Sharpe said...

Oh Karen, I am so sorry for the rough start this morning. Last time I locked myself out I had no one to blame but myself - turned the doo-hickey on the knob as a matter of habit and walked out...leaving the keys on the table inside. There was no one to call for a spare key and I had to try to A) carry a ladder to the only open window - bedroom B) climb up the ladder and try to crawl in. Yes, I kicked the ladder over and was dangling half in and half out of the window. Have I mentioned how clumsy I am and Murphy's law just seems to follow closely? Anyway, I was fine, got in the window (probably in less time than it felt like) grumbling the whole time. I am now extremely paranoid about getting locked out. Sigh.

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Joanne said...

First, I had a good laugh at Galen's lotto comment, and fully support that theory! Second, I'm sorry for your lock-out. That happened to me a couple years ago, and it was so frustrating! Now I never leave the house without my keys in my pocket, even if I'm just stepping into the backyard for a minute. If I'm outside the house, keys are on me. Glad you're back inside and happily writing :)

Helen Ginger said...

Glad it worked out and you eventually got in. Think of the time you spent waiting as Me Time. You got to sit and think ... about your dear husband and about where to hide a spare key.

Helen
Straight From Hel

K. A. Laity said...

It might have been a good opportunity to think about how you could have used the time productively, too. I don't believe in wasting time, so I would have said, "What can I do while I'm waiting." It's a good time to practice composing in your head and reorder your to-do list. Anything's better than just fuming. Now is all the time we have anyway.

Karen Walker said...

Galen, you absolutely crack me up!
Nancy, I so relate. I could just see you dangling from the window.
Yes, Helen, have already thought about where to hide a key.
Kate, yes, luckily I had my i-pod, so I researched songs for my new singing group.
Thanks, everyone.

alexisgrant said...

Hey... Just read your fabulous post over at the Memoir site. You should ask them to link to your blog!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Wow, you can get everything done but the writing in just two hours? Holy cow!

Sorry, I'm still marveling at that feat...

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Ohhh......that would be so frustrating!

Glad you were able to resurrect your day, though.

Elizabeth

Jm Benavidez Estoque said...

Hi there!

If you have some time, I invite you to please care to visit my site and take a time to leave some comments

http://www.filipinoliterature.blogspot.com

Sentimental poetry,
Novels,
Essay, etc

Thank you and Have a nice day! :)