Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Weekend Wrap Up

I have decided to use Monday posts to do a weekend wrap-up. We'll see how it goes.
My weekend began with a Friday night dinner and Mah jong game. What I love about mah jong is that it stimulates and challenges my 60-year-old brain. Plus, we laugh a lot, which releases endorphins and serotonin. Not bad!

Saturday morning I hung out at the New Mexico Book Coop's booth at the Lavendar Festival. Won't do that again. Quite depressing to see folks pick up other books to purchase, but not mine. I have decided these kinds of venues are not appropriate for memoir (especially one that is written by an unknown). Felt better after dancing Saturday night, though. Loving friend always help.

Sunday we had lunch with my mother-in-law and our other 89-year-old friend. It is so interesting to see the differences between the two of them. They are the same age, but Mom is quite fragile and needs a lot of help and Mary Alice is still driving, cooking, shopping, cleaning, volunteering, and travelling. Is it genes? This is one of the things I'll explore in my new book on aging. The day ended with grocery shopping. Now I get to relax for the rest of Sunday. Going to curl up with a good novel.

Blessings,
Karen

9 comments:

Joanne said...

Sounds like a very nice weekend, though sorry about the Lavendar Festival. Maybe it was just an off-day for memoir? Interesting thoughts on your mother-in-law and her friend. I think a book like the one you mention will have much interest, there's a great audience for that genre.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

SOme festivals just don't work for some kinds of books - I've had my fair share of bummer days, too.

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Stephen Tremp said...

Sunday night is a great way to end the weekend. Read a good novel. I love a good thunderstorm in the background.

Steve Tremp

Galen Kindley--Author said...

A Monday summary of the weekend is a good idea.

Best Regards, Galen

The Practical Preserver said...

Steven, you'd love it here. We seem to be having one thunderstorm after another. Getting tiresome. Karen, chin up about the lack of response for your memoir.
Agree with L. Diane that certain venues work for certain topics. Not sure what this festival's theme was, but chalk it up to experience and forge ahead.

Patricia Stoltey said...

The Lavender Festival sounds like a cool event, even if it didn't work out well for the book booth. The response is so unpredictable. I'm going to try a big Northern Colorado after-Thanksgiving Holiday Market this year, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Marvin D Wilson said...

Good idea for a regular weekly post topic. But hey - this post is listed as being published on Sunday. Do you need to adjust your blog's clock? Just wondering. :)

The Old Silly

N A Sharpe said...

I like the weekend roundup idea and it sounds like you had a noice one. It is so hard to predict what will and will not draw the crowds/sales at different book festivals. Sorry this one didn't work as you would have liked... you'll get a better response next time.

Sounds like a fun weekend, at any rate.

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I just got home from playing Mah Jongg - love the game but now I am frantically trying to catch up on everything I should have been doing! I agree with the other comments, that some weeks a book may sell at a certain venue and the next week it doesn't. It's just impossible to tell - so don't get too discouraged.