Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, July 10, 2009

Writing from the Heart

Today was a near perfect work day. Got up. Meditated. Went for a walk at 7:30 (before it gets too hot). As I walked on the gravel path that winds through the small park behind our house, a robin joined me. As I watched, he scampered across the path . Moments later, he strutted back across with a worm in his mouth. He seemed so proud of himself.

Back inside, I proceeded to do my physical therapy exercises to rehab my shoulder. Loathesome activity, but must be done. Ate breakfast, then got to work. For two hours I did the internet stuff. Broke for singing practice. Ate lunch. Then spent the next four glorious hours working on a presentation I'll be giving at a metaphysical bookstore in September.

The talk is on tuning in to intuition...a practical approach and I'm pulling information from the hundreds of books lining my bookshelves, as well as my own story. The thing I love most about writing is having an idea I want to express and manipulating the words so that the person hearing them receives the message in a good way.

The only reason I stopped working is because my brain was fried from pouring through books for juicy excerpts that reflect my subject matter. I'd just finished for the day when my son called with a dilemma he wanted to brainstorm about. I had wonderful ideas right at my fingertips from the work I'd just completed.

What is it you love about the work you do, whether it's writing or something else?

Blessings,
Karen

8 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Karen, what I love about your day is that you did everything you wanted and needed to do and did it in a relaxed, focused, and organized way.

I may try to emulate that today!

I love it when I have a productive day of writing. It makes me feel so proud of myself, regardless of the quality of the output I concocted. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Joanne said...

I love losing all sense of time when I'm immersed in writing. It's such a transporting feeling. And as I read your words about manipulating words to express an idea in a good way, I just thought "Yes! Yes!" There is such satisfaction in doing this.

Galen Kindley--Author said...

No matter what the task, I like the feeling of accomplishment when I'm done. I mean, I feel good about doing the dishes or getting the floor swept. There's just something about accomplishment thats...well...good.

Best regards, Galen

Imagineering Fiction Blog

Helen Ginger said...

I like getting things accomplished - the ironing, the floors, or a book. I'm in a super mood because my book on Game Programmers and Artists is so near done, I emailed the publisher and told him to expect it Monday. Woo-woo!

Helen
Straight From Hel

The Practical Preserver said...

I love the sheer thrill of creating - whether it's developing a character, plotting a mystery, or working in the garden and reaping the harvest.

K. A. Laity said...

Like Dorothy Parker, I like having written, but at the best of times, when you're really caught up in the story, when you're living the moment and just trying to get it all down -- well, there's no better feeling. Being in the flow!

Marvin D Wilson said...

I like doing it. Writing, sleeping, walking, meditating, sitting, whatever ... being here now and really DOING it gives me satisfaction.

The Old Silly

alexisgrant said...

Right now, I just loving getting things DONE, checking them off my list, pushing myself that much closer to finishing this manuscript!!