Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, July 17, 2009

Writing Progress

I love beginnings. With an idea, a preliminary outline, and my imagination and creativity, the whole universe is available to make it happen. I've started my book on aging and am so excited. Two interviews are completed and I can already sense that working on this project will be an honor and a privilege.

In a previous blog, I said I was beginning three new projects, but alas, I find I truly only have energy for one at a time. This worries me, because I am 60. I was such a late-comer to writing. But I want to do the best I can on each piece and to do that, each one must get my full attention. So there it is. My mother used to tell me my eyes were bigger than my stomach when I couldn't finish everything on my plate. Not sure why that came to mind, but it seems appropos.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

Age aside (and I do keep pushing my age aside), sometimes it's better to focus on one project at a time. That's what I've found, anyway.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Joanne said...

I do think it's better to work on one project at at a time. If you have a lull in that work, you can always turn to a notebook or journal plotting out the next idea, just to keep it alive, to anticipate it. But for me at least, that singular focus is necessary.

Marvin D Wilson said...

I keep 3 WIP's going but usually am focused on one to "get it done." Having a couple others started is helpful to me when I get writer's block on my main (top of the list) ms - I can usually think of stuff to write in the other books and then come back when the inspiration returns.

The Old Silly who is turning 60 himself soon. (wink)

AlanChinWriter said...

I also love beginnings, when anything direction is possible. I also feel that I need to focus on one project a time, but I always seem to have at least two irons in the fire.
I have so many ideas for books and movies, and not nearly enough time to write them all. But quality is more important that quantity. I hear that loud and clear.

alan chin

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm a one at a time kinda person. Just the way my brain works, I guess. But I'll be writing one story while making final changes suggested by my editor on another, so I can multi-task.

And stop it. Sixty is not old. You're still buying green bananas!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm always working on all kinds of small stories as well as my trilogy. I thrive in controlled chaos. And its never too late to begin writing. I'm in my forties and just self-published my first boo.

Stephen Tremp
www.stephentremp.blogspot.com

Patricia Stoltey said...

60? That's not old (unless you think it is).

I always used to say I could not multi-task, but now (at a few years older than 60), it seems like I'm always hopping from task to chore to project. I feel like having a big celebration when I actually finish something. Is it a frantic dash to get as many things done as I can before it's all over? Maybe. Gotta hurry...

N A Sharpe said...

I have ideas for three projects: one I am working on, the other two I add notes to from time to time but that is all my brain can do is one at a time. I do have a friend that alternates 7 projects simultaneously...bless her, I could never manage that.

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Karen Walker said...

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. Just to clarify. I don't feel old. It's just that I am aware of time in a very different way than in my 20s, 30s, and 40s. And I know how things can change in a nanosecond. These days I'm packing a lot into every moment with very little down time and it is exhilirating and a bit tiring, but I'm loving it.
Karen

julielomoe said...

Okay, I'll 'fess up I'm going to turn 68 on July 31st. Does that make me the oldest here?

I realize I'm blessed - my GP just gave me a clean bill of health the other day. I could stand to lose 20 or 30 pounds, and my cholesterol's pushing the borderline, but other than that, I'm in pretty good shape. Last night I joined about 60 other women in a Zumba class at the Y, many of them teenagers - it's Latin dance aerobics, definitely not for the faint of heart.

A friend exactly the same age is totally immobilized following knee replacements and repeated falls, in a rehab center with a cast from ankle till groin until the fall. But it's not just genes - she let herself get morbidly obese.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more about your book on aging!

Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso
http://julielomoe.wordpress.com