Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Peace

Let me say, first of all, that I don't think of myself as a political person. I am deeply concerned about the issues facing this country, but I am not an activist or a pacifist. Frankly, the problems overwhelm me because it seems that solutions are elusive and impossible to find.

Last night I attended an event in which three young women talked about peace in the middle east. One was from the occupied territory in the west bank – a Palestinian. Another was a Palestinian Arab living in Israel. The third was a Jewish girl from Israel.
All three attended an intensive, three-week camp through an organization called Creativity for Peace. Their mission is to “nurture understanding and leadership in Palestinian and Israeli adolescent girls and women so that they aspire to and take on significant roles in their families, communities and countries that advance peaceful coexistence. The girls sleep, eat, and play, and most importantly, dialogue with one another about their pain, grief, and anger.

Watching and listening to these girls share about that experience and how they came to love and respect one another was one of the most moving experiences I’ve had. It gave me hope that if the younger generation is learning how to do things differently, perhaps the world can heal.

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

This sounds like an amazing event, Karen. If only our leaders could follow their lead!

Elizabeth

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Wow, that's incredible! If only all young people could be schooled away from such hate.

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Helen Ginger said...

Wow, Karen. How wonderful that you got to take part in this. Let's hope it spreads. We could even use something like that in this country. Sure has been a lot of hate being spewed lately. I'm like you, though, I tend to stay out of politics, but this event would have been well worth attending!

Helen
Straight From Hel

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Are women allowed to play a larger political role in some of the middle eastern countries...sadly, seems like not. This is a great way to maybe turn that around.

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

DebraLSchubert said...

Karen, I'm so glad you found me! I happen to be very political, have been since I was a little girl campaigning for McGovern for President! This sounds like it was an amazing event. Peace in the Middle East seems elusive, but where there is life, there is hope. Dialogue and acceptance are key. Hopefully, in time, peace will really prevail all over the Earth. I'm following you now, btw.;-)

Stephen Tremp said...

This sounds like a great class that could be offered as a high school elective. Especially in areas that are melting pots of diverse cultures. Thanks for the post.

Stephen Tremp

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

This sounds like an incredible and very interesting affair. I'm hoping the younger generation does better at promoting peace and understanding than my generation has done.

Marvin D Wilson said...

That's encouraging indeed. We need a lot more of that sort of thing - open dialog between the citizens of nations that are enemies of each other. It's the power mad governments that want and wage war - if people could just talk and get to know each other we'd learn that we're all the same, just wanting peace, stability, and the ability to raise our families and enjoy life.

The Old Silly

Tabitha Bird said...

World Peace... I sometimes wonder if it is possible. There will always be the haters just as there are the passionate lovers. I am a lover and I pray there will be more in the next generation. I applaud those who feel the call to work tirelessly in this area. I must admit, thinking about the state of our world often leaves me feeling all kinds of hopeless.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I saw a documentary a year or so ago where Palestinian and Israeli young people were brought together in an organized camp where they could get to know each other. I wonder how it all worked out when the teens returned to their homes.

Karen Walker said...

To answer Patricia's question, these girls said it was very difficult when they returned home. But they are living demonstrations of what is possible and even if it changes only one friend, one family member, at a time, it is still change.
Karen

ComfortWriter said...

It only takes a spark.