Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, August 7, 2009

Purposeful Blogs

I've been thinking about blogging and how to improve this blog site. My original intention was to create a presence online so that people could find me (and thus, my book). I began blogging in February, when the memoir was published. I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Many of my blogger friends are fellow writers and their blogs provide writing tips, advice, resources, etc. I guess content should depend on who the target audience is. For me, writers are only one part of the audience I'd like to reach. I'd like to reach readers as well. People on a similar journey - one in which we are seeking to improve ourselves and our lives as best we can. That is not to say that writers aren't on this kind of journey as well. Many of us are.

Perhaps the best way to reach those folks is to write about my life, which I've been doing. But the writing has been more journal-writing than essay writing. I'm going to try to switch the emphasis in future posts. That means there will probably be fewer posts each week, because essay writing is a whole different animal. It's not stream of consciousness. It begins with one idea and you let that idea go where it wants to go, without a conclusion in mind when you begin. But, like all good essays, it should have a beginning, middle, and end. So watch for more purposeful blogs from now on. Till then,

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

I have always liked your posts.. but I can't wait to read what you come up with.Have a good weekend.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

You always have good content, Karen. I'll look forward to your essays, too.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Yep, writing to other writers has been a head-scratcher for me since we started. I wrestled with it, posted about it, and tried to find a way around it. I concluded none of that was possible.

So, I do what Alexis Grant suggested…I pretend at least *some* of the blog visitors are just pure-dee ole readers. I accept and am grateful for the visitors I have. Perhaps more important, I’ve come to understand that writers are also readers. I try to post things of interest to a wide-audience, some writing-related, some just silly stuff that I hope makes my visitor smile--no matter their background.

Using this approach, I’ve pretty much let go the, “who is my audience” issue. They are who they are, and I’m grateful to each one. Not implying that you’re not grateful, just explaining how I resolved what I think you’re talking about.

Look forward to your new approach.

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I've enjoyed your blogs and am sure I'll enjoy your essays as well.

Jerry Waxler said...

Hi Karen,

I think of my blog as a sort of self-published column. If you could write a column for a newspaper, what would you write? Pick a subject that interests you, and that you want to develop as a sort of microcommunity. As you continue to develop ideas along this theme, your expertise will increase, and at the same time a group of people who care about the same subject will learn from you and about you. You could even use it as the foundation for your next book.

Good luck! Have fun!
Jerry
Memory Writers Network

Karen Walker said...

Hmmm. Much food for more thought here. Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll keep pondering and in the meantime, keep blogging as I have been.
Karen

Helen Ginger said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog posts. And I have a feeling I'll continue to enjoy stopping by to read what you have to say. You put a lot of thought into your posts. I hope this change will bring in more readers.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Enid Wilson said...

Karen, did you check your keyword search statistic? If you want to write for readers, that will be a good indicator. I was quite amazed I got readers who searched for "love quotes" and came to my blog nearly every week. Maybe for my readers, getting inspiration about love is important.

Bargain with the Devil

Karen Walker said...

Well, Enid, I didn't do it because I don't know how. Where does one do that?
karen

Jody Hedlund said...

Glad you're getting your focus figured out! Blessing to you and your writing journey!

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

sounds like you're figuring out what you want to do! when i started my character therapy blog...it only gets TTh posts...b/c they really do take a lot of time to write and to think about what i want to say. but my other blog...it's fun to do stream of conscious sometimes. so i do that there. it works! :) good luck to you in your switch!