Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

skin bump

I have a small bump on my cheek. It's been there for a couple of months. I didn't think anything of it at first--just kept hoping it would disappear. A few weeks ago I was at my family doc for something and asked him about it. He said it was some name I can't pronounce or spell and that I needed to go to a dermatologist. It could turn cancerous.

I am not someone who has ever been afraid of getting cancer. I don't live in fear of getting diseases, or that some disaster will occur. But I am nervous about this. I see the doctor today at 12:15. I've had more than my share of health issues: gall bladder surgery in 1973, fibroid tumors followed by a hysterectomy in 2001, ankle surgery in 2005, knee surgery in 2007, shoulder surgery in 2009, to name a few. I'm trying hard not to feel sorry for myself, but handling another health issue while still rehabbing my shoulder just doesn't seem fair. But hey, who ever said life is fair?

Sorry for the little whine here. I'll be more positive tomorrow - promise!

Blessings,
Karen

8 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Karen, I'm crossing my fingers that it's nothing. We have lots of stuff cut off of us in my family--all sun-related. Check back in with us and give us an update later...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Karen, I've found from my own experience with more lumps and bumps than I care to remember, that ones on the face are usually minor and can be frozen or painlessly cut off in a matter of minutes and will heal quickly. I hope this applies to yours as well. Good luck.

Helen Ginger said...

I will be thinking of you today, Karen. I hope the news is good and everything is fine. I worry about sun-related stuff since I spent three years in college slathering on baby oil and baking myself when I was a swimmer in an underwater show. So far, nothing. I think yours will be nothing. I'll be back to see what happens.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

i will be praying for you! please keep us updated!

Karen Walker said...

Just got home from dermatologist. It was a pre-cancerous thingie that he burned off. Hurts a bit, but not to worry unless it comes back. Thanks for all the good thoughts and well wishes.
blessings
karen

K. A. Laity said...

Glad to hear it! Now next time, remember this and remember not to worry until there is something you know you have to worry about. You'll be more comfortable in the meantime.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm glad it was an easy fix, Karen. I, too, have sun damage on my face and arms, so occasionally have to have little things removed. So far, like yours, nothing serious. Annoying, though, isn't it?

N A Sharpe said...

Karen,

Sending positive energy and good thoughts your way. I'm glad it was caught while still "pre-cancerous" Hopefully the pain from removing it will disappear soon.

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…