Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Telling the Truth Tuesday

I'm a teensy weensy bit discouraged. Perhaps it's only fatigue. But I woke up this morning not really feeling like doing anything I'm supposed to do or that I normally look forward to doing. Perhaps it's that my car wouldn't start yesterday and I have to deal with that first thing this morning. Or that the refrigerator died last week and we had to get a new one and I'm wondering what mechanical thing is going to go wrong next? Monsoon season may have finally arrived in Albuquerque, and although we desperately need the rain, the dreariness affects my mood.

The good news is, as I said, it's just a teeny bit, not depression and despair, like it used to be. So, in my tradition of telling the truth on Tuesday, I'm just sayin' I don't feel quite up to snuff. But I also know this too shall pass!

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

The Old Silly said...

LOVE telling the truth Tuesday! Honesty is SO good for the soul, eh?

Marvin D Wilson

Patricia Stoltey said...

When I feel like that (and the weather is dreary), all I want to do is get more coffee and curl up in a comfy chair with a good book. I'd be a total grump if I had to tend to a broken car or refrigerator instead.

However, I don't think we'd be very human if we didn't feel down in the dumps or grumpy once in a while. So from one human (who wishes she could go back to bed -- me) to another (who needs to tend to her car), I wish you a sunny day and a warm smile.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sometimes when I can't seem to get in gear, I find out later that I'm much more productive the following day or even the next week. It's good to take a day to just relax, especially when it's rainy.

I had a spate of bad luck about a month ago and was convinced the whole house was falling apart (I have a tendency toward hyperbole. :) ) I hope you don't have any more repairs to face.

Elizabeth

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Been raining here and we're about to drop over $1000 on an unexpected trip to Oregon, so I feel your misery...

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com

Helen Ginger said...

No rain here in forever and that is a bit depressing. Neighbors are losing their wells. Bleh.

I say, find something you like to do and never seem to have the time, and do it. Whether it's read a book, sitting in the swing wearing headphones and listening to music or having lunch with friends. Take the day off and revitalize. Enjoy this time.

Helen
Straight From Hel

DebraLSchubert said...

I've SO been there lately! Today is the first day I've woken up in a while feeling happy, energetic, and inspired. Hang in there, Karen. There's light at the end of the tunnel.;-)

Karen Walker said...

Just had to add an addendum to this post. I went to one battery place. They didn't have the battery for my car. They sent me to another place, just down the road. They had the battery all right, but when I asked where I should wait while they installed it, she said, "This is a store."
I guess she felt sorry for me when my face fell to the ground,cause her next words were, "That's okay, I'll put it in for you."
And she did. When I asked if she was a mechanic, she said, "No, my Dad just made sure us kids knew what was what under the hood."
"You're my angel today," I said. And she is.
It's still overcast and dreary, but my heart is lighter. People helping people...it's what it's all about,isn't it?
Blessings,
Karen

Stephanie Faris said...

We're all bound to have "off days" every now and then. I think the key is to just give yourself a day off from all the things weighing you down and do something for YOU.

N A Sharpe said...

Oh Karen, I know exactly how you feel - I had a similar day, at least from the feeling off and not having a very productive day. I blamed it on the rain too. Funny, I live in the sunshine state. I'd sure like to know who does the PR here - it rains six months straight here (rolls eyes). I recently went through the mechanical revolt too with having to finally surrender and get a new car...then the refrigerator died so I feel the finacial crunch too. Man. Tomorrow will be better. Sometimes you just have to ride out the blahs. Glad to hear things worked out okay for your car at least!

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Tabitha Bird said...

Love 'tellin the truth Tuesday' What a great idea! I know how you feel. I really have to watch that those moods don't make me spiral. Good for you that you are on even feet even though you feel a bit down. Yeah, things pass, but they suck while they are passing :) Blessings while things pass.
Tab :)

Beth said...

Maybe tomorrow you can have a Wild Wednesday! :)