Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 31, 2009

Weekend Wrap Up - Gratitude

My weekend wrap up is all about gratitude. For the first time in years, my limbs are healthy. I can walk 20 minutes a day without anything hurting. When I dance, my right knee (the one I had arthroscopic surgery on a few years ago) aches, but it's bearable. I need to get into the habit of icing it. So, at 60, I'm grateful for my body and the fact that's it's carried my soul inside it for so long; that it allows me to do the things I want to do.

When I was a little girl, singing consoled me in a household fraught with anger and tension. I would close the door to my room, put on my 45's and sing. It was the one constant in my life, blocking out things that were upsetting. As young as four years old, I'd discovered singing made me happy.

When I was 50, I got a guitar and learned to play chords. Our folkdance community frequently has gatherings where we end up singing. At 57, I started taking singing lessons and began performing with a group at retirement communities. Saturday, we sang at a nursing home. It was stressful and intense getting ready for that performance, but when one resident said, "You made my day," it made it all worth while. So I'm grateful for my singing buddies, my vocal chords, and those who love music as I do.

Exhausted after the gig, my hubby and I went out for Vietnamese food, my absolute favorite ethnic cuisine (along with Thai, Italian, Mediterranean) well, I guess I like everything. But the spring rolls at Vietnamese 2000 are the best. with fresh mint, cilantro, vermacelli, shrimp and pork, served with a luscious peanut sauce. Then we went folkdancing, where I sat most of the night and folk-gabbed. I'm so grateful for the genuine "community" we have at dancing.

Sunday was mostly rest. I'm grateful for down-time.

What are you grateful for?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm grateful for my loving, supportive husband for my Savior!

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com

L. Diane Wolfe said...

and for!

Too early yet I guess - LOL

Helen Ginger said...

I'm grateful for my family and friends. Somehow in the last five or six years, I've accumulated a group of loving, supportive, friends. They've taught me to be loving and supportive, I think. And I'm always grateful for DH.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Sounds like you had a terrific weekend. I’m healthy and happy, have a wonderful, supportive family and group of friends – in general life is good and for that I am so very grateful.

Stephanie Faris said...

A mostly healthy body, a job that lets me afford a decent house and puts food on the table, and a great boyfriend!

JStantonChandler said...

I'm grateful my limbs are able to work hard enough to ache the next day. I'm grateful for a husband who understands that having a gas stove is one of life's most important luxuries. And I'm thankful for prayers answered, after five years, for a place of our own! Happy Monday.

Jody Hedlund said...

I'm grateful for the past couple of weeks that I was able to spend with my mom and the close relationship we have. And I'm grateful for the sunshine and shadows that are dancing across the floor by my side, reminding me that life has a bit of both light and dark.

The Old Silly said...

Wonderful topic and post. I'm grateful for my grandkids that I'm babysitting for right now. Well, lots more also, but right now this is TOPS!

Marvin D Wilson

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Gee whiz. You were busy. I was shopping with Donna on Saturday, and after about forty-five minutes, said, “Okay, I’m ready to go home for a nap.” Which I sorta did. She knitted, I napped on the couch beside her. Doesn’t sound excited, but it was quite fun and restful for us both. So, I’m grateful for an understanding and compatible, Donna.


Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Patricia Stoltey said...

My list of things to be grateful for is mighty long and includes many things already mentioned, so I'll just add that I'm very grateful I was born in (and live in) the U.S.

N A Sharpe said...

Long, long list. Definitely family and friends at the top. Health...has its moments but a heckofa lot better than a few years ago!! Every brand new day.

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Tabitha Bird said...

Today I ran 5kms. Why? Because when I get to sixty I want to say, "I am thankful for a healthy body that lets me do the things I love."
I run 3- 4 times a week an average of 5kms each time. (sorry, don't know how many miles that is) I am learning to value myself and my body and to follow those things that add to my life and take away those things that do not. I worked out a little while back that running makes me very happy. I feel great afterwards, it helps with the depression and I have to eat well to sustain the exercise, so it works on all fronts. I also notice that I sleep better when I run. Some girls look at me and say, "Oh, you don't need to run. look at you." But I am learning that what I weigh does not make me happy. It is what I do with my body and my time that adds to my life. This winter heaps of my friends have been sick, and I am grateful that my family and I have been well. I ask God every day to lead me down paths and towards things that are good for me. Running is one of those things. Boxing is another, as is writing. Friends and family are near the top of my list. But God sits at the very top. :)

karim said...

Good one on gratitude and it helps a lot.

Thanks,
Karim - Mind Power

Anonymous said...

This describes a woman who has a hard time paying a few thousand to
develop their business and earn more profits. You may say that ones own dress are able to
make a few mistakes when trying something new.
Pants should not fit too tight or too lose.
During this time, even surgeons often used unwashed hands and
equipment, and death from bacterial infection was far more common due to the amazing marketing campaigns.


Feel free to visit my web page :: Ao so mi nu