Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 24, 2009

Weekend Wrap up has been preempted

When my book first came out in February of this year, Sharon Lippincott was the first person I "met" on the internet to respond favorably by agreeing to write a review. I can't believe my luck in connecting with Sharon. She has been teaching lifewriting for ten years. Her book, The Heart and Craft of Lifestory writing, has helped thousands create their own memoirs, and she is a loving and giving mentor to other writers. It is my honor to introduce you to Sharon and her work. She will be writing a guest blog right here this coming Wednesday, 8/26, so please stop by and learn how to add zip to your stories.


Many thanks and a big hug to ComfortWriter for this Kreativ Blog award. As with other awards, there are rules! Here they are:1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting. (see below)5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.


7 interesting things about me:

1. I read Deepak Chopra, the Dali Lama, Danielle Steele, Nora Roberts, Elizabeth Gilbert, Eckart Tolle, a variety of spiritual writings, John Grisham, well, you get the idea-eclectic tastes to say the least.
2. At 50, I taught myself to play chords on the guitar so I could accompany myself singing.
3. I am afraid of being outdoors; I feel much safer inside, but I love being in nature. Once I get there, I'm fine, but getting me there can be difficult.
4. I have gained and lost 40 or so pounds about a dozen times in my life.
5. I still believe I must have been adopted--I am so different from either of my parents.
6. I get restless and bored very easily--probably why I have moved so many times in my life.
7. I compare myself to other women constantly, which feeds my negativity. But I'm working on it!

Since I've recently given awards to most of the bloggers I know, I'm not going to pass this along to 7 bloggers. Please accept my apologies for that. There are so many great bloggers out there.
Here are just a few that I know for sure are extremely worthy:
Galen Kindley
Patricia Stoltey
Marvin Wilson
Nancy Sharpe

12 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

#2 made me chuckle!

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I love learning 7 things about people! It's a great meme. You're such a well-rounded person....I think the musical side of your life is really great. I wish I could share your talent, but I have to be satisfied with being a spectator when music is involved.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Tabitha Bird said...

Congrats on the award. I have moved plenty of times too. We moved from Australia to Hong Kong, back home again and two weeks later we moved to the USA. We are finally settling into life. For five years I have not moved. It must be time for another country:)

Helen Ginger said...

I love that you taught yourself guitar chords. I love to sing, but I sing badly. But I do so admire people who can play a musical instrument. My son played tuba. My daughter played clarinet and is now learning the banjo. I took one lesson in the accordion way back as a child. Now, I love to sit and listen to others play.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Beth said...

Congrats on the award, and I'll look forward to your Guest Blogger!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Congratulations on your Kreativ Blogger award, Karen, and many thanks for including me as you passed it on. From reading your list, I can see we have a few things in common. I chuckled at your comment about your parents, though. I am so exactly like my parents that it's eerie.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Congratualtions on the award! I enjoyed reading your list of interesting facts.

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Congratulations on your well deserved award, Karen. I’m with Patricia on Number Five. I’m not different, though, I have become my parents…what’s with that?!

Thank you kindly for including me in a group of very talented bloggers…I’m very honored.

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Stephanie Faris said...

Yay. Congrats on your awards! I lost 70 pounds once...it was my biggest accomplishment to date. It took about a year.

Jody Hedlund said...

Congrats on the award! I'll look forward to the interview later in the week!

The Old Silly said...

Well deserved award! Love the 7 things, too - lol and wink. Hey I got the Kreativ one too but the button looks different. Oh well, same dif - :)

Marvin D Wilson

N A Sharpe said...

Congrats on your award - very well deserved. I like the idea of this seven things about you - it allows such a wonderful glimpse into your life. Thank you so much for including me in your list to pass the award on to. I really appreciate it and I feel humbled by the company!

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…