Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, August 28, 2009

What are you reading?

I am a voracious reader. Always have been. It's a bit frustrating right now because I don't have as much time as I once had to read as much as I'd like. There is a stack of unread books on my dresser in the bedroom as well as on the end table next to the couch. And I just ordered a bunch of books from Amazon because it was about time I started reading books my new blogging buddies have written!

I'm currently in the midst of "Queen of the Road," by Doreen Orion. It is a hilarious romp. Orion takes the reader with her and her husband on his midlife crisis dream trip of traveling the US in a converted bus. They are both psychiatrists. Need I say more?

My reading tastes are quite eclectic, ranging from Eckart Tolle, the Dali Lama, Carolyn Myss, Jody Piccoult, Danielle Steele, Nora Roberts, well, you get the idea.

What are you reading these days?

Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'm actually reading non fiction right now (Stan Toler's "The Buzzard's are Circling but God's Not Finsihed with Me Yet", but as soon as I'm done I'm starting an e-book I recently won called "Whitney in Charge" by Diane Craver.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I'm like you--no time to read. :( Not for the next week or so, anyway. And then I'm really looking forward to catching up.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

alexisgrant said...

Oh, I'm a Jodi fan!

Right now I'm into reading every travel memoir I can get my hands on -- particularly those written by women. I consider it research :)

I just finished Monique and the Mango Rains, about a peace corps volunteer who befriends a Malian midwife. Learned so much about birthing practices in Africa. Love that kind of stuff!

I'll miss reading your blog during the next month while I'm away, Karen.

Tabitha Bird said...

Just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife and have just started The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I would love to read your actually. I have tracked it down at a local book store. You still up for me to email you some quick questions? I also just recommended your book to a book club I know.

The Old Silly said...

I know what you mean. Between writing my own books, editing other authors' books, reading other authors's books for reviews and blogging, Sheesh - I rarely get to just pick out a book I want to read for the sheer relaxation and enjoyment anymore.

I've got to go to the library and/or bookstore and FORCE myself to take some R&R time out every now and then to read for the fun of it.

Marvin D Wilson

Stephanie Faris said...

I was readying a young adult audiobook I got from the library by an Edgar-award-winning author (Barbara Brooks Wallace), but I ejected it halfway through. It was SUPPOSED to be a ghost story but if halfway through not one single ghost has been spotted, I'm outta there! Beautiful writing but where are the GHOSTS in "Ghosts in the Gallery?"

I'll next be listening to Jennifer Cruisie's Goodnight Nobody. And in book form I'm reading Liz Ireland's "How I Stole Her Husband," which is positively addictive even though it's a few years old. I'm looking for other books by her, she's so good.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Well... you mean outside of marketing books? LOL

Our singles ministry group is doing a study on Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages - Singles Edition, so that is what I am currently reading!

And like you, I miss all that free time I used to devote to books...

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com

carolynyalin said...

I just started Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.
I'm all over the place with books. I also read, Can You Keep a Secret, again and it made me laugh, again. :)

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Gee, Karen, I haven't read a book in forever. I've listened to some audio books in the car and on the exercise equipment, but to sit down and actually read the old school way...can't remember when. Those audio books were mostly history stuff.

Oh, Great comment on my blog today about marketing. Very thoughtful and much appreciated.

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Jody Hedlund said...

I don't have much time for reading, but when I find a really good book, I certainly MAKE time! I don't have anything too exciting that I'm reading at the moment.

Beth said...

I'm in a book club started by one of my former coworkers; we're reading the Modern Library's top 100 novels, and I'm currently on Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. I'm loving it! I try to fit other books in as I can, and have very eclectic tastes.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm forcing myself to take more time to read for fun. It would be too ironic to give my passion, reading, in order to write books. I'm beginning to think there's something out of whack here...

Brad Thor's The Apostle is what I'm reading now. It's a thriller, much of which takes place in Afghanistan. And to add to my book-buying insanity, I just received four more from B&N (more blogging buddy books) and went I went to the bookstore to buy a gift kid's book today, I picked up Julia Child's book about her life in France. I truly am out of control.

Sharon Lippincott said...

I just finished reading On Mexican Time by Tony Cohan -- a memoir of relocating to San Miguel de Allende in the 1980s before the city was "discovered." Fascinating!

Now I'm reading Your Soul's Compass by Joan Borysenk and Gordon Dveirin. Joan is one of my favorite writers on matters of the spirit. I'm fascinated with the spiritual memoir niche and have journaled extensively on this topic. I'm at the point now of arranging and connecting dots.

Next in line is The Story of Your Life: Writing a Spiritual Autobiography by Dan Wakefield. This book is a classic in the field.

Karen Walker said...

Ooh, these are delicious comments. A new "must-read" list can now be created. Thanks, everyone, for sharing.
Have a great weekend.
Karen

Helen Ginger said...

I'm reading Romanced to Death by Susan Rogers Cooper, a long-time friend of mine. It's the next mystery in her E.J. Pugh series. It's a fun read and the mystery is starting.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Pan Historia said...

I'm reading The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard. It's particularly interesting because it's presented chronologically so I can get a real sense of his development as a writer.