Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 2 - Edinburgh

This morning we got a late start. We slept over 12 hours and didn't wake up till 9 am. Boy, we needed it. After breakfast, we walked down the Royal Mile to Holyrood Castle, home of Mary, Queen of Scots. Liked it much more than Edinburgh Castle, which was dark and dank, Elizabeth. Didn't encounter any nasty ghosts, Elspeth, but the history is fabulous.

We attempted to climb to Arthur's Seat, the highest point in Edinburgh (831 feet up), but these old legs didn't like that. We still got up pretty high, and the view was so worth it. The park is 640 miles and has been a park for over 4 centuries. There is a tribute to James Hutton, considered to be the father of geology.

After a lovely lunch at the Cafe at the Castle, we took the city bus tour, enabling us to see the various parts of the city. Along the Royal Mile, there is a Writer's Museum, with artifacts and ino on Robert Burns, Ropbert Louis Stevenson and Sir Walter Scott. A 200 foot monument to Scott soars above the city.

Stevensen said, "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Love that quote. He also said, "When I suffer in mind, stories are my refuge. I take them like opium." He also said one who writes them is a doctor of the mind. Don't you just love those quotes?

Since this is going to post on :Telling the Truth Tuesday, I'll say this. I am very blessed. Sending you all the wonderful writing energy that I sensed here in this town.

Tomorrow our guide arrives and we are off to Stirling, Inverness (land of the Loch Ness monster) and the Isle of Skye.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Oh wow. So wish I was there. Have fun :)
Another quote I love about traveling is, 'Having a place to come home to makes traveling a joy.'
Love the stories like opium quote :)

Joanne said...

Love the quotes, so true. Enjoy your journey tomorrow, definitely feeling your writing energy on the blog!

N A Sharpe said...

Oh I am so jealous - what a wonderful trip. So much history and adventure. I be you can just feel the stories of all the history come to life. This has got to be getting your Muse all riled up in high energy - I know it would mine. Hope you take lots and lots of pictures to post when you come back! Keep posting - I'm living vicariously!!! I have always wanted to go check out my Scotch Irish roots! Have fun!

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Karen, we traveled to Edinburgh ten years ago and fell in love with the city. I know you're having a great time, certainly far better than I did on my Oregon trip.

When you get back, you can read about my seminar on my website - we'll chat then.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

After all that walking, it must have been wonderful to sleep in!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Great quotes. Hope you see Nessy - we didn't but it's certainly a beautiful area.

r. k. said...

please consider the newly released true novel by Eloquent Books entitled Euclid Avenue, Our scars mean something. the press release can be seen at eloquentbooks.com/euclidavenue.html. the book is also available at barnes & noble, books & co, books-a-million, borders, select hallmark book stores and amazon.com

Elspeth Antonelli said...

You are walking in the footsteps of history as you travel north to the Highlands. Breath the fresh air and let your hair blow in the wind. Look around and reflect on the hundreds of generations that have seen what you're seeing now. I adore Europe!

Elspeth

Sylvia Dickey Smith said...

I wish I was there with you!

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Hooray, sounds like your having the good time we all hoped you would. I never realized there was that much history there. Goes to show how much I have yet to learn. Speaking of which…no pun intended…yesterday’s post mentioned a Witchery?? What the heck is that. AND, lastly, kudos to you for finding the time and energy to blog. Very nice. Guess your new netbook worked out okay.

Best Regards, Galen

Imagineering Fiction Blog