Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday musings

It's going on 2-3 weeks that I haven't been able to write anything new. I have three works in progress (WIPS): a novel which I began in the 1980s (one chapter is written); a book for boomers on aging; and a book of ceremonies for healing. I am (was) excited about all three books. But now I can't muster the energy to do anything with them.

It feels like depression, but I truly don't have any reason to be depressed. My body is healthier than it's been in like forever. Hubby and I are doing just fine. We're leaving for a wonderful trip to Ireland and Scotland in two weeks. My friendships are intact. Most times when I've been depressed, it was triggered by an event, like losing custody of my son or a divorce, or something else which causes an emotional upheaval. Now the only yucky thing going on is that Aetna is refusing to pay the $27,000 bill the surgery center charged for my shoulder surgery. Now,upsetting as that is, it is not something to get depressed about. Angry, yes. Depressed, no.

Maybe it's just a needed hiatus from all the writing, editing, publishing decisions, and marketing, the end of a 10-year journey. I've decided to ride the wave, go with the flow, whatever, until after I get back from vacation. If I'm still not writing, I'll need to figure out what's going on. But for now, I'm reading more than I've read in years.

Decided to support my new blogging buddies, so I bought and read and enjoyed:



"Pretty is as Pretty Dies" by Elizabeth Spann Craig
"The Ride" by Jane Sutton
"The Prairie Grass Murders" by Patricia Stoltey

Also purchased, but not read yet:

"Girl of my Dreams" and "Killer Career" by Morgan Mandel
"Hearts of the Morning Calm" by Galen Kindley
"I Romanced the Stone" by Marvin Wilson (actually hasn't arrived yet)

All I can say is, our blogging friends are darned good writers, and it pays for us to pay attention to what they have to say. They know from whence they speak. Hmm, maybe that's why I'm depressed. Comparison is an act of vengeance against oneself.

Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Karen, you’ve been really busy lately, maybe you just need a break. Your upcoming trip may be just the inspiration you need to get the words flowing again.

Thank you for purchasing The Ride. I really appreciate your support and your kind words about it. I also have bought books written by some of the bloggers I visit and you are right – there are some really talented people out there. Your book, by the way, is in my to be read stack.

Tabitha Bird said...

Maybe someone within you needs a hug? Sometimes it is the Little Girl in me that needs looking after, sometimes it is a fear that needs to be told it's okay, I am here and I can look after me. Hope that doesn't sound stupid. But if ever I am cycling low it usually means someone/thing inside me has a problem or needs reassurance. Of course that is just what happens for me. Probably different for you. Someone once said to me that they call a 'round table meeting' within themselves and ask everyone/thing that comes to the meeting what's going on. I think even negative voices can have important messages behind them.

My writing usually comes back when I get still enough to hear what I need to hear within me. :) But that's just me. It could be a thousand things Karen. You are a wise woman with wonderful insights. I am sure you will find the writing again in a place and space that feels right for you :)
Hugs, :)
Tab

The Old Silly said...

When I don't feel the inspiration to write - in my WIP's that is - I just don't. It'll be crap anyway, so why worry or stress myself over it? That's the beauty of blogging regularly - it's fairly easy and keeps you shapr to come up with something to say/write about every day, and then when the inspiration comes back, get back to the WIP's. The trip should be a good break for you, I bet you come home just brimming with inspiration and ready to key away.

I'm very pleased and grateful you thought enough of my writing to buy a copy of one of my books! I agree the bloggy world is full of great writers and we are blessed through the internet to learn about each other BEFORE we all get rich and famous! (wink)

Be blessed today, Karen - peace.

Marvin D Wilson

Galen Kindley--Author said...

I’m amazed you found a copy of my book. It’s been out of print for several years, and won’t be reprinted until next year. Great job of scrounging. It’s in there with some pretty tough competition. Better make it last on the read list, that way, it’s possible you won’t get to it, as in the normal order of things, you’ll get overcome by other events and it might slip your mind.

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Karen--I agree with Marvin. If the joy in writing isn't there, I wouldn't force it. I'd write something, anything, else--journal, blog. Write something you want to instead of working on your WIP.

And thanks so much for reading "Pretty." I've got several blog friend books (including yours) that are just waiting for me to make time to read!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Helen Ginger said...

Karen, as I read your post, I thought, it sounds like you're contented. You're neither high nor low at the moment. You're in a nice place in your life (despite Aetna). I say, go with it. Be contented, for however long it lasts, until the muse or the urge to write comes back.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

It's time to put yourself in "time out". We all need those times to renew, refresh and refill our muses. Have an awesome vacation. Stay healthy and safe. Look forward to your return.

Jody Hedlund said...

Ah, don't compare yourself, Karen! We're all at different places in the writing journey. You'll get there too, but each of our paths will take us to different places! And yes, you are writing through your blogging. And for now, maybe that's what you need!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Karen -- Thanks so much for buying a copy of The Prairie Grass Murders. I also have gradually been buying copies of the blogbooktour buddies' books. My stacks are growing. I may have to stop writing and just read for a couple of years to catch up.

When it comes to writing and publishing, we all have our down times when we wonder why we bother doing it at all. I am surrounded this weekend by a lot of authors who are a lot more successful than I am. I look at how hard they've worked, and how dedicated they are, and I know that I don't choose to work quite that hard or promote my work with as much energy. That makes it a lot easier to applaud their success instead of feeling down in the dumps because I'm falling behind.

I guess what I'm saying is, look at your own work and your own goals and your own accomplishments as though you live on your own private island where no one else's work matters. You are unique and special and you should do want you want to do in your own way.

And by the way, you are the third friend I have who is taking a wonderful trip and I'm starting to feel very jealous because now I want to go somewhere cool too. I'm going to start nagging the Hubby as soon as I get home from this conference. LOL

Sharon Lippincott said...

Karen, a time out sounds like a very healthy decision -- like "following the whispers." Why would you quit doing that now? When you've only recently learned (relatively speaking)?

With all the emphasis now for authors to get ourselves out there, tweeting, blogging, Facebooking, speaking ... PROMOTING ... who has time to write? Maybe we make time to write, but who has time to BE?

You go to Ireland and just BE. It's a marvelous place to listen to whispers. Ignore the signs and go all the way out to the tip of the Cliffs of Moher if you get over that direction. That area is powerful! The whole of Eire is powerful. You'll love it.

When you get back, drift in easy. Write in your journal. We'll be here when you are.

Jennifer Major said...

I think your vacation will be envigorating! And, exactly what you may need. I find it best to stop thinking about the writing. Then it comes back to me, creeping in like a cool breeze through an old window.

Karen Walker said...

How is it that I can feel closer to you all than people I've known for years and you and I have never actually "met?"
Thank you all so much for these thoughtful and extremely helpful comments.
I am taking all of your advice to heart and letting go about the writing until I return from my trip.Already, I'm feeling more centered, more myself.
Blessings to you all,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Karen,
Jill Badonsky wrote "The Nine Modern Day Muses (and a Bodyguard)" to help people get past their creative blocks and one small step at a time begin again their path to creative bliss. In it, she says that sometime we need time for our ideas to percolate.
Make sure you take a small notebook or journal to write down whatever blows into your mind, but relax . . . and enjoy the journey.
P.S. I look forward to hearing about you trip. Maybe you'll post some pics when you get back? ;->