Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Indian Time

Today is the only day this week in which I have no outside appointments. I love days like this, where I can allow things to evolve organically, not squeezing exercise in between doctor appointments or lunch dates or whatever.

In New Mexico, not wearing a watch is called being on "Indian" time. This is because Indians don't run their lives by the clock. They live life organically, following the seasons, the time of day. I forget how much I love living life on Indian time. Waking up naturally rather than to an alarm clock; eating when I'm hungry, not because it's lunch or dinner time, going to sleep when I'm tired, even if it's 9 pm and not 10, my normal bedtime.

Time ceases to have the power we give it when our to-do list is running things. Instead, my own rhythms gently indicate what direction I should shift my energy and attention to.

Aren't timeouts wonderful?

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I had an Indian time day yesterday - it was wonderful! I haven't heard of Indian time before but I'm adding it to my vocabulary in the hopes of many more Indian time days.

Enid Wilson said...

I don't like to wear a watch, so I'm on Indian time a lot. That got me into trouble from time to time though, like getting late to appointment.

Bargain with the Devil

Joanne said...

Time outs are wonderful, and I think we sometimes don't realize how beneficial they can be when we're immersed in our schedules, to-do lists, routines. They really give space for our true selves. Love the Indian time concept!

The Old Silly said...

Totally agree. I've been "watch free" for years now and love being on "Indian Time." Course, now and then ya gotta pay attention to time if you're scheduled to be here or there, but enjoy those moments/hours/days when you can just be organic and free, get the general time from the position of the sun and stars.

Marvin D Wilson

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Cool, I learned some NM lore. I use that on my wife. Here’s hoping everyday is Indian time for you.

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I'm too scared to go on Indian time! I think I might mess something up. Maybe I can work towards that as the final goal...and just take it off a few hours at a time.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It does sound wonderful!
However, I'm a very scheduled person, so I like my to-do lists and set times. Granted every single day is different, but it's organized chaos!

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
http://www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com

Helen Ginger said...

Time outs are good - I love sleeping and waking to my body clock. But forced time-outs are so frustrating. I'm now in the Denver airport headed home from Minnesota. The whole time there was a forced time-out since I discovered my sisters neighborhood had no AT&T service (my cell phone) and only sporadic Internet service - way late at night or very early. I've been going crazy.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Tabitha Bird said...

Ha! That's funny, we have a saying here about being on 'bush time.' Means the same thing as indian time. And yes, time outs are a huge blessing :)

Garret Gillespie said...

"Indian Time" I love that!