Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Telling the Truth Tuesday - time outs

Those of you who are regular visitors to this blog know that I wrote about not writing. How I thought maybe I was depressed. That maybe I should consider doing other things.

Thanks to all of you who wrote such thoughtful, kind, loving responses. I took something from each and every one of you. As soon as I gave myself permission to take a time out from writing, the negative feelings disappeared. Centered and calm once more, I could see that I hadn't given myself any kind of break after completing and self-publishing the memoir. I jumped right into online marketing and haven't stopped.

One friend said if we don't stop "doing" and just allow "being" then there can be no room for anything to either come in or go out in terms of creativity. The time out also is allowing me to focus on my upcoming trip and make sure I'm totally prepared for that exciting adventure (Scotland and Ireland).

Time outs have a negative connotation from giving our kids timeouts because of bad behavior. But the purpose of those timeouts was to give them a chance to reflect on what they did.

This time out is a period of reflection for me. The fourth step of the 12-steps from Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon is "take a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself."
I am taking a time out to do that, looking at where I am physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I'll share more as this process evolves.

Blessings,
Karen

7 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Love that quote, "take a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself." Hmmm... powerful stuff :) Great post Karen, as always.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I think we all need breathers and changes in our routine occasionally. I find being in a rut is not a good thing for creativity. Enjoy your time out!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

With my children, I frequently put *myself* in time-out. Whenever I feel myself getting irritated or impatient for no just reason, I stick myself in time-out. Like you mentioned, it's the perfect time to relax and figure out how to redirect my day.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Once our cup drains, we need to refill, or we have nothing to give to either ourselves or to others.

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com

The Old Silly said...

My Mother-in-law had a great saying. She would say, "It's okay once in a while if you have ot 'give out.' Just never 'give up.'"

It's always stuck with me. Downtime of necessity is not the end - just a much needed regrouping period, readying yourself for the next surge, the next phase.

Marvin D Wilson

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

One friend said if we don't stop "doing" and just allow "being" then there can be no room for anything to either come in or go out in terms of creativity.

What a great point. Thank you for sharing that bit of wisdom. Just discovered you via Alexis Grant and look forward to reading more!

Garret Gillespie said...

I had a counselor many years ago tell my wife and I to "be gentle with yourselves." Sage advice. I thought of her in a recent blog entry of my own. http://garretgillespie.com/blog/2009/10/mule-sense/ Her advice has been a huge help for me recently, and it really is true that everything will be right where you left it when you get back.