Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, September 25, 2009

Time for Reflection

All the chores are done. The housesitter is in place. Mom-in-law has enough groceries to last her a month, let alone two weeks. The newspaper is stopped. The antibiotic is kicking the sinus infection. My suitcase is packed. Everything is confirmed. And I have this one day left before leaving for Scotland and Ireland, land of the fairy folk.

When the busyness stops and the noise inside my head subsides, and the phone doesn't ring and the computer is off, only then, in complete silence, can Spirit speak. It is telling me to have no expectations of this journey. To simply "be." That is my big lesson, to be fully present. To expand my awareness of the five senses. To hear underneath the words. To see beyond the colors.

May our awareness awaken in new ways so our experience of life is enriched.

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Enjoy the 'being' Karen. Have a wonderful time :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

It's nice to finally take a deep breath, isn't it? Hope you're feeling better and have a wonderful trip.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Leigh Russell said...

This is inspiring, Karen. I have to confess, I was impressed when you started by saying 'all the chores are done.' I wish I could say the same! I'm afraid I'm just not that organised . . . and I do like retreating in to my writing whenever I can . . .
Thank you for commenting on my book, Cut Short, on authors promoting authors. Please let me know what you think of it when you've a chance to read it. In the meantime, I hope you have a fantastic trip to Scotland and Ireland, both beautiful countries where it is possible to switch off and just be. Have a wonderful time.

Joanne said...

Great words of wisdom. The time to just "be" and absorb and reflect is so nourishing to mind and soul. Enjoy every moment of it!

Jody Hedlund said...

Very true! Oh, Karen have a wonderful trip!! I'm sure you'll come back soaked up and renewed with so much to share!

Helen Ginger said...

I like that idea: no computer and to simply "be."

Have a fabulous trip and enjoy every second of it. Then come back and share.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Elspeth Antonelli said...

What wise words! Take lots of pictures. Enjoy!

Elspeth

Marvin D Wilson said...

Ah yes those special quiet moments in "The Spirit" - love 'em.

The Old Silly

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Wishing you the best of times and a super safe and enjoyable trip.

Best Regards, Galen

Imagineering Fiction Blog

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Wishing you are wonderful trip, Karen

ComfortWriter said...

Have a wonderful time!