Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, September 7, 2009

Weekend Wrap Up

Labor Day Weekend. End of summer. Holy you know what! Where did the summer go? I don't know about you, but time is fleeing much faster than it ever did. The weekend was fabulous. Saturday, a singing gig at a retirement community. It is such a blessing to bring music to those who no longer have the ability to get to a concert. Folkdancing as always on Saturday night. Then a pool party to close out the summer with 40 or so friends (we don't have a pool, but our friends do). Final steps of planning for our Ireland/Scotland trip at the end of the month.
I'm hoping to blog from there. I've purchased a 2.3 pound netbook. We'll see what the internet connections are like.

But by far the most important thing that occurred this weekend was the epiphany I had on the way home from dancing Saturday night. I haven't been writing lately. I'd blocked out 3 days last week and nada, nothing, not one new word on a page. I tried not to beat myself up about it, but seems I am harder on myself than any abuser could possibly be. I whispered to myself to put down the whips (no, I'm not into S & M). Then I danced for a few hours. While talking to hubby in the car driving home, I started blabbing about my feelings and voila la. The answer came.
I was feeling like a failure because I self-published my memoir and sales are not that great. I knew I'd never recoup the money I put into it, but that didn't matter. It was about sharing my story with others who might be helped by it. Still is. But what was churning inside me is why bother to write anything new. If I can't get published traditionally, I won't self-publish again - it's way too expensive so, what's the point of writing anything at all? Whew! At least now I know what's blocking me. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

And now for......more awards:

This is the Honest Scrap award. It is for those bloggers who write from the heart. I received it from Helen Ginger, one of my favorite bloggers. The rules are to pass it along to seven bloggers and then list 10 honest things about myself. Here five bloggers who are very deserving of this honor:





Bloggers who write from the heart and touch me because of it:

Jody Heglund

Debra Schubert

Marvin Wilson

L. Diane Wolfe

Elizabeth Spann Craig



10 Honest Things About Me:

  1. I am a jealous person. I am jealous of writer friends who got published traditionally. I am jealous of women who are thinner than me and look fabulous. I don't begrudge anyone what they have, just wish I had it too!
  2. Sometimes I wish I had absolutely no responsibilities - like cooking for hubby, feeding the dog, food shopping, you know, the everyday chores. I guess that's why vacations are nice.
  3. I hate shopping for clothes. Don't like spending the money on myself. But I have to say, since i've lost 45 pounds, it's a much more pleasant experience because things fit and look pretty darn okay for a 60-year-old body.
  4. I'm not a great singer, but singing makes me oh so happy. I sing with two other women at retirement communities, and, although I doubt my abilities, I know I'm doing a good thing when we're told we made their day!
  5. I am questioning my decision to write full time. This last week the writing just hasn't happened, even though I blocked out three full days with no other distractions.
  6. I worry about money. I don't know if it comes from growing up with parents who didn't have much and who grew up in the Depression, but even when there's no reason to worry, I worry, which is why I am now blogging about "letting go."
  7. I finally went to a printer yesterday and ordered bookmarks for "Following the Whispers." It's taken 7 months to take that giant step to have a giveaway at signings and other events.
  8. I want to be a grandmother so badly I can taste it. But my son is 36 and not seriously involved with anyone. Hope I'm able to enjoy a grandbaby when it finally does come along, if it does. Another opportunity to let go of expectations.
  9. I live in a place they call the land of enchantment. Thursday night at Girls Night Out, we ate dinner on my friend's patio. The Sandia mountains were visible in the East and as we ate and talked, the full moon rose behind the mountains. It doesn't get much better than that.
  10. I believe in Magic.

11 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the award!! What a great way to start the day! :)

And thanks for sharing your honest feelings about what's going on right now with your writing. Writing is such a journey. We all have set backs, but if we keep on learning the craft, and especially keep on enjoying the process of writing, then that's what really counts in the end. Hope you're able to find joy in writing this week!

Wend's Place said...

I believe in magic too!

Do you write because you love it or because you need the attention?

Did you link your self-published book to Amazon?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Aw thank you Karen!

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com

Karen Walker said...

HI,
You're welcome, Jody.
Wend's place - yes, my book is availble on amazon, barnes and noble, etc. The company I used has a great distributor.
Karen

The Old Silly said...

I love #10! Well deserved award, and thanks for thinking of me, too. I'm familiar with several of the others you recommended and will have to check out the rest. Have a great Labor Day!

Marvin D Wilson

Helen Ginger said...

I'm going to be looking for future posts on what you do about your writing. Personally, I hope you'll keep writing, but it's not up to me, of course. You need to do what makes you happy and fulfilled.

I agree with you about childhood affecting us as adults. I hate to spend money and I think that stems a lot from growing up poor with parents who lived through the Depression.

To you and all your readers -- Happy Labor Day! (No laboring, though)

Helen
Straight From Hel

Patricia Stoltey said...

Hi Karen,

Yay, you ordered your bookmarks. They really do come in handy as conversation openers. Hardly anyone will turn down a bookmark when offered, and it gives you a chance to ask a question or make a comment about your book.

As far as writing is concerned, you find out over time what's right for you. If you are supposed to be writing, you'll find at some point that you will sit down and write. Not everyone writes to a schedule. Some of us "binge write" and we do it when we want to do it. But when the attack comes, we write because we have to. Try to relax about the whole thing and see what follows.

These lists of ten are amazing. I especially like #10. I believe in Magic too.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Thanks for the award, Karen! I really appreciate it.

It's fun to learn new things about someone. I hate shopping, too!

If writing isn't fun, then no one wants to do it! If I feel dried up, I'll revise something old, or I'll do research (bumming around on the internet, really) or I'll do some other writing-related task besides the creative part.

So many people tell me, "I should write a book." And I nod and say, "You should!" But they won't. And you DID...all the way through the process of writing, editing, seeing it published, and promoting it. Aside from the emotions you must have dealt with throughout. You've done a fantastic job.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I’ve had many moments when I questioned why I bother to write. I’ve decided to quit about a million times so I’d have more time to do other things but find I can’t because I really enjoy writing. The standing joke around our house is that writing was my inexpensive hobby until I became a published author and now it is a very expensive hobby (and I was published by a small traditional publisher)! I think it’s the same story for most emerging authors regardless of the publishing route taken, so try not to get too discouraged and enjoy your accomplishments.

N A Sharpe said...

Thoroughly enjoyable post. First of all, congrats on your well deserved award. You definitley deserve it. Secondly, Ireland and Scotland?!?!? Color me jealous. One of my dream trips to take is the castle tours of Ireland, Scotland and England. Third...I believe in magic too!

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

alexisgrant said...

Hi Karen,

If you're like most of us, you write because you *need* to. You feel an urge to get the words out, to express what's inside. You want to tell the story. For the people who read it, even if it's only a few, it's worth it. Remember that. And it's worth it for yourself.