Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, September 21, 2009

Weekend Wrap up


Good news to report. "Following the Whispers" is a finalist for the 2009 New Mexico Book Awards, a statewide competition in which 300+ entries were received in over two dozen categories. "Whispers" is in the First book published by author category. I've never been a finalist for anything in my life, so this is a huge honor and it absolutely doesn't matter to me whether I win or not. That would be amazing, but so is this. Winners will be announced at a banquet on 11/20.



I had two singing gigs Saturday, one at an assisted living facility, and one at a 55+ retirement community. They were having a barbecue and we were the entertainment. First, one of the headsets wouldn't work. New batteries fixed that problem. Then the equipment had feedback issues. We couldn't get it to work without static, no matter where we placed things or us. But when we started singing, the audience was amazing. I got a teensie glimpse into the rock-star world. They clapped and sang along with us and it was a total blast--a natural high! I could sure get addicted to that feeling. They even asked us if we had a CD? You have to understand, our trio is 55, 60, and 65 years old. We are singing in public for the first time in our lives. We are anything but professional. We just love to sing. Oh, and they gave us a $100 donation. We don't charge a fee.

Sunday we had dinner with 20+ friends to celebrate Fall, the Jewish New Year, and all the blessings life has to offer.

Here's wishing you blessings in your life in the coming season.
Karen

16 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

So you'll soon be an award-winning author in addition to rock star, huh?

Joanne said...

Congrats on the honor of your book being chosen a finalist for the Book Awards, very exciting! Best wishes for a win in November!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

It is an incredible achievement to be among the finalists. Congratulations. I’ll try to send you all the good luck vibes I can for the banquet in November. Your singing gigs also sound like a very satisfying hobby – it’s must be a wonderful feeling to know the enjoyment is equal among the singers and the listeners.

Marvin D Wilson said...

I KNOW AN AWARD WINNING AUTHOR!!! Yay! Ok I know you still have to WIN - but you WILL - and then don't forget The Old Silly, OK? (wink)

alexisgrant said...

A finalist!! That's so great, Karen. You deserve. Congrats!! Keep us posted.

JStantonChandler said...

That's wonderful news, about the book nomination and the "rock star" moment! Here's hoping you win!

Jen

Jody Hedlund said...

Karen,
That is FANTASTIC!!! Congratulations! I can completely understand that finaling is enough of an honor! That's all it took for me--to final in a contest. I didn't win, but the final gave me the fuel to get agented and eventually get a book contract! Maybe you can use your final to an advantage too!

The Practical Preserver said...

So many hats to wear - I'm happy for you, Karen.

Jennifer Major said...

congratulations!!!!

Helen Ginger said...

Congratulations on being a finalist. That is Sooooo cool. I'd be jumping around my office with excitement. And now you're going to produce an album! Yay!

Helen
Straight From Hel

Tabitha Bird said...

Karen, that is AMAZING news! I am doing a happy dance for you :)))) Oh, I hope your book wins! I sooooo hope it wins :) you will let us know right?

Karen Walker said...

You guys are just so great. I love you all and we've never met face to face. Thanks so much. I have no expectations about winning, but sure, if that happens, you'll be the first to know.
Karen

karim said...

An insightfull post. Will definitely help.

Thanks,
Karim - Positive thinking

Patricia Stoltey said...

This is so great, Karen. Congratulations!

As for the singing, if you ever decide to drop in on us old folks in Northern Colorado, make sure I know you're coming. Sounds like a big bunch of fun.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congratulations, Karen! I'm hoping for the very best for you.

Elizabeth

karim said...

Very thoughtfull post on belief .It should be very much helpfull.

Thanks,
Karim - Creating Power