Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, September 18, 2009

Where Have All the Flowers Gone?

Mary Travers died yesterday. She was 72. For those of you who don't know who she is, she was part of a musical trio, Peter, Paul and Mary. They were folksingers during the 1960s, along with Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, the Kingston Trio, and more. I grew up listening to and singing their songs: Puff the Magic Dragon, The Cruel War, Blowin' in the Wind, and many, many others, including Where Have All the Flowers Gone?

Folksingers were a huge part of the 1960's anti-war movement and their songs were anthems for that time period and spoke to how many of us felt.

I got to see Peter, Paul and Mary for the first time a few years ago when they came through Albuquerque on a tour. It was a profoundly moving experience as I stood in that audience, swaying in unison with others, singing the words I've been singing for so many years with those who created them. Mary's voice wasn't what it once was. But her spirit and passion were still there.

So many icons are leaving the planet. When we're young, we believe we are invincible. But after we turn 50, we know we are not and that someday, we, too, will be gone. It makes me realize how important it is to stay centered, focused and present right here. Right now. In this moment. And to make each moment count.

You will be missed, Mary Travers. Thank you for the music that fed my soul.

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Via my parents' influence, I was a big Mary Travers fan. I was so sorry to hear of her passing.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Cyndi said...

I grew up listening to Puff The Magic Dragon. I know there's controversy over the actual meaning of the song but it was my favorite "kid's song". I wasn't aware of any hidden meanings when I was a child. I am immediately transported back to my childhood every time I hear it. We have lost too many of the celebrities who we identify with our younger days this year. It's so sad.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Mary was one of my favorites. She'll be missed for sure.

In life it's here today, gone tomorrow. My question every day is, "What am I doing today to make someone else's life better? Am I performing the Golden Rule? Am I serving the Lord?"

Joanne said...

Music is such a universal language, with a special way of reaching so many people. I'll bet the concert you went to was amazing as they brought a lifetime of wisdom to their songs.

Helen Ginger said...

So many great songs. I sang Where Have All the Flowers Gone to my kids when they were little (changed the words a bit so it didn't mention war).

We seem to be losing a lot of icons lately.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Karen Walker said...

I heard on an interview yesterday that Puff the Magic Dragon was a song about a dragon. Pure and simple.
Karen

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I thought their songs were great and I loved her voice. It is sad to see our icons pass away, but you are right - it does serve as a reminder to make each moment count.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Thank goodness we have those wonderful recordings to remind us. Even focusing on here and now, I don't want to forget the good parts of the past.

Galen Kindley--Author said...

You said it kid. Not to be morose, but, there’s more downhill than up remaining. Still, we each have picked the roads we’ve traveled to get us where we are. This is a good reminder to pick wisely for the remainder of the journey.

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

The Old Silly said...

LOVED P P & M. Such great memories of the 60's - those harmonies and the deep meanings of the lyrics. I'll miss Mary too. I wish music would return to having some depth and purpose to it like it did back then. God knows there is plenty to protest about in this gone haywire world.

Marvin D Wilson

Linda said...

Ah yes...my husband mentioned this yesterday. He is a huge fan of PP&M. We enjoy their Christmas Special when ever we can find it on PBS.

Connie Arnold said...

I enjoyed her music too and sorry she is gone. You are so right, Karen, about the importance of making each moment count since we never know when it could be our last.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You have the Dragon's Loyalty Award waiting at my blog today!

Rayna M. Iyer said...

I never even knew Mary Travis had passed on too.

Growing up in India, I discovered Peter Paul and Mary entirely accidentally (found a cassette in a second hand store and bought it because I liked the cover), and fell in love with their music.

Like all artists, they seemed rather invincible, and it is not nice to hear she's no more.