Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, October 16, 2009

Assimilating Part 3


Let me introduce you to the lovely town of Inverness and the beginning of our trip through the Scottish Highlands.


This is the B & B we stayed in, dating back to the 18th century.


One of the more mystical spots on our journey. Cairns are piles of stones. These are Clava Cairns, Bronze Age burial cairns from 2,000 BC. That means they are 4,000 years old.
When the Sun hits a certain stone, it reveals whether it is Beltane or some other Celtic festival day.








This is a Garron, a Highland pony. He's magnificent, isn't he?






Another Scottish Highland resident, the red deer.


As I assimilate the things I saw and how they made me feel, I realize how much animals and nature connect me with Spirit. Another gentle reminder for me about how to remain more connected when I'm not traveling.
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Sylvia Dickey Smith said...

Iagree with you Karen about the animals and how they help us connect to our souls.

One of my favorite books is Animal Speak, by Ted Andrews. When a animal comes into my life I always go to that books as reference to what message they bring to me. I looked up deer and it reads "Gentleness and Innocence--Gentle luring to new adventure. When deer shows up in your life it is time to be gentle with yourself and others. Are you trying to force things? Are others? Are you being too critical and uncaring of yourself? when deer shows up there is an opportunity to express gentle love that will open new doors to adventure for you."

Joanne said...

What a wonderful journey, physically and spiritually. You've taken so much to enrich life and your words. I love how the sunlight hitting the stone reveals which festival day it might be. Talk about ancient communications! Wow.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

That pony is precious. And you're right...I get a whole different vibe with my writing when I'm outdoors. Great reminder!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Marvin D Wilson said...

Mmmm - loved the pics. And I too am a nature guy, the plants and animals all talk to me - when I LISTEN.

The Old Silly

Helen Ginger said...

I hope that Bed and Breakfast was as great to stay in as it looks. Cool pics. The rocks are fascinating.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Wonderful pictures; beautiful country!

Elspeth

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

I am so enjoying viewing these sites! The allure of so much history is fascinating, isn't it? It truly does somehow enable one to "connect" with their inner selves on a different level...

BTW - you're now networked on FB - and rated! Congratulations! You did it!

(And thanks again!)

carolynyalin said...

I envy you. I need a vacation soon :)

Suzyhayze said...

Amazing pics! Really helpful in ways I can't even explain!

Galen Kindley--Author said...

The shots of nature are pretty...that's for sure, but, the B&B dating back to the 18th century is very intriquing. You could use it as the setting for a story.

Best Regards, Galen

Tabitha Bird said...

Beautiful pics. So green. Nothing like where I live at the moment :) We are DRY!

Jody Hedlund said...

Beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing more pictures with us!

alexisgrant said...

Some really beautiful photos, Karen!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Hi Karen, I just dropped by to let you know Hallie Ephron stopped by my blog and answered your question: http://patriciastoltey.blogspot.com/2009/10/sinc-into-great-writing.html

I'll be back after Bouchercon to read about your travels and look at all these great photos.

Patricia