Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, October 23, 2009

Getting Sidetracked

How easy it is to get side-tracked. I finally had a day with no outside appointments. No lunch dates. No appointments with mom-in-law. No errands to run--the groceries were shopped, the laundry done, the house cleaned, dinner made. Nothing but time, time I would use to begin the novel.

7:30-9:30 am: Participate in bloggydom world
9:30-whenever: write

So far so good. Everything's going according to plan. I write the first few paragraphs. I import the short fiction piece I wrote a few years ago that is the basis for this idea. I realize it doesn't work as a first chapter. I get quiet and ask the main character to talk to me. Decide it needs to be told in first person. I go ahead and change everything from she to I.

10:30: Call good friend in Portland. Read her what I've written. Silence. "Well," I ask.
"I wouldn't read it," she says. And proceeds to tell me why.
She's right. I go back to the computer. And stare at the page. Stare some more. The voice inside my head begins to speak. You can't do this. Don't waste your time.
Switch on Spider Solitaire. I'll just play a few games.

12:00: Time for lunch.
12:30: Ooh, I'd better finish that book I promised to write a review on.
4:30: Done. As a reward, let's play a few more games of Spider Solitaire.
5:30: Time for dinner.

As Scarlett O'Hara would say, "I'll think about it tomorrow...."
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

LOL! You know, I've come to the conclusion that sometimes it works better to NOT have a "plan." It just seems that whenever I DO what you did yesterday, something comes up that prevents me from accomplishing anything on that list!!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

LOL!
I don't get sidetracked as much as I end up with SO much on my to-do list that it takes most of the day to get through the detail stuff, plus I receive emails & calls that require attention, which sucks up the rest of my time...

Tabitha Bird said...

Sounds like one of my days... just add in kids and other duties that are kid related and wham.. there goes another day... :)

The Old Silly said...

Loved this post. (wink) And you know, sometimes it's ok to say, as did Clark Gable, "Frankly, darling, I don't give a damn," and walk off into the mist of serendipity caring not the least bit about being sidetracked.

Marvin D Wilson

Joanne said...

Even though you think you were sidetracked, I believe your mind is still processing and working on the novel in the meantime. It's like the time I was gazing out the window, and when my daughter asked me what I was doing, I replied "Writing!"

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I wouldn't share it yet. Actually, I don't even share my new manuscripts with *myself*--I never read back over it. It freaks me out too badly!

I'd start really slow with it. Maybe 5 minutes a day? The important thing is that you're thinking about it in small spurts. Then, if you go OVER 5 minutes, you can give yourself a reward...I like chocolate. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Cyndi said...

Hilarious! I can't tell you how many of my most well-planned days ended up looking very similar to this. :)

Jen Chandler said...

Too funny! It seems if I plan my day, it goes all scattered. But if I just play it by ear I get more done than if I had a list. And I do love my lists!

Happy weekend,
Jen

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Karen, I added a little something to my post, I believe after you'd been there - and forgive me for using YOUR blog to plug ME - but I'd like to extend an invitation to you and your followers to visit CC-Chronicles, where I'm very pleased to have been interviewed for her new Friday "Welcome to the Weekend With..." feature!

Thanks for the use of YOUR space Karen...

Tamika: said...

Sounds like too many of my days.

Tomorrow my husband is giving me a free day of writing with an empty house and full day of scribbling.

I pray that I can take every advantage to use my time wisely, that all my characters show up ready to play, and my internal editor slumbers the day away.

Happy writing!

alexisgrant said...

It IS easy to get sidetracked! Gotta stick to the plan... I like to make a list and check things off so I can literally see what I've done.

Helen Ginger said...

The most important thing is: what have you learned from this, Karen? What? I'll tell you what. The lesson is: Spider Solitaire is the devil. It'll suck me...er, you...away from the work at hand. It's a game that will crawl up my...I mean your... spine and take control. You must be strong against the spider. One of us needs to get some work done...and clearly it won't be me.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Pretty clever post. Yeah, I can relate to where did the day go and what happened to my grand plan at 7:00AM? I can relate so much, I don't even wanna think about.

Best Regards, Galen.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I had to quit Minesweeper cold turkey for this very reason. My writing life has improved (and I wasn't very good at Minesweeper anyway).

Elspeth Antonelli said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing Spider Solitaire. My addiction is with Free Cell. The writing will come when it's ready. Trust it.

Elspeth

J. Aday Kennedy's A Writing Playground said...

I thought you were writing about me for a second. I get sucked into games that eat up my writing time. I think it's a conspiracy plot...or maybe I'm just a slacker. Shhhh. Don't tell.

Blessings,
Aday