Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pics from Scotland

Okay, you all asked for it, so here goes. We took 500+ pictures on this trip, so choosing a few to post on this blog is a challenge. I'll start with Edinburgh, Scotland.


This is Holyrood Castle, home of Mary, Queen of Scots.




Imagine a city that has a writer's museum. Robert Burns, Robert Louis Stevenson, Sir Walter Scott. Inside, you will find Scott's writing desk; some letters they had written; furniture that had been in their homes.



I just loved the architecture of this church. Actually, the architecture in Edinburgh is quite lovely. The city was home to so many great thinkers, like David Hume, Adam Smith, Thomas Carlisle, Conan Doyle...and that energy, those amazing minds that posed questions about humanity, still exists in the city today.



This is Deacon Brodie Tavern. Aside from being quite old, it is the place where Robert Louis Stevenson became inspired to write Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. Apparently Deacon Brodie had quite a secret life.

What I want to say most about Edinburgh is that I was inspired to finally begin a novel. I'll remind everyone that I've never written fiction, except in the creative writing classes when I returned to school for my degree. I've had an idea for a novel for 20+ years, but it's not that novel that I'm inspired to write. It's one for which I wrote a short fiction piece on. But the character (based on someone I actually do know) made herself known to me and asked me to tell her story. There's an old Yiddish saying, Oy vay! Loosely translated, it means Yikes!
Although terrified, I'm also ready to give it the good old college try. Wish me luck.
More photos tomorrow. Promise!
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Best of luck and have fun with your new project! Love the pictures--especially the cool tavern.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Tabitha Bird said...

Good luck with the story. I am sure you will do well. Thanks for the photos. Looking forward to seeing more.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I so enjoyed your pics and travelogue! What a wonderful place to visit.

Go girl! You can write that novel! Keep us informed of your progress so we can cheer you on!

Joanne said...

Wonderful photos, Karen. How amazing is it to be inspired to write that novel, and to be inspired by such a perfect place. I'm sure your journey will help you bring much to the story. Best wishes, and happy writing :)

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I enjoyed the photos. They allow me to revisit some special places and discover new ones I missed. Good luck with the novel.

Helen Ginger said...

Love the photos. It's lovely to hear you've been inspired to write fiction. I'm looking forward to hearing about the project.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Jen Chandler said...

Wonderful photos! That's exciting about your new project. Enjoy it! Play with it! Let yourself go and see where it leads. I look forward to hearing more about your novel :)

Jen

Stephen Tremp said...

Great photos. I bet there are many Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hydes lurking in taverns just like this. Inspiration for a great novel can come anytime, anyplace. I have to get out more.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Edinburgh is so breathtaking and inspirational, I bet your attempts at fiction will rock!!!

Jody Hedlund said...

Thanks for sharing a little bit of your trip! And I'm so excited for you to begin a novel! You can do it!!

Marvin D Wilson said...

Awesome! Can't wait til tomorrow - bring 'em on! LOVED the cathedral and the Jekyl & Hyde tavern especially. ;)

The Old Silly

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Thanks for posting some pictures; Edinburgh is a beautiful city. And best wishes as you begin your new journey into fiction; welcome to the ride!

Elspeth

N A Sharpe said...

Great pics! I can see how Edinburgh can definitely inspire the Muse - looking forward to hearing more about your novel. It'll be wonderful, I'm sure! :)

Nancy

Linda said...

Welcome home, Karen! Thank you for sharing the pictures! England and Scotland are two of my favorite places in the world, and most definitely full of inspiration. I can't wait to hear more about your novel.