Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Rhythms

Life is rhythm. Sometimes staccato. Sometimes legato. Sometimes silent. Maybe the rhythm is suggesting a jitterbug. If it's three-quarter time, you might try a waltz. Rather than get thrown by life's changing rhythms, I am learning to shift from one to the next.

I had what I thought was a great idea for a nonfiction book on aging. Still do (think it's a good idea, I mean). But it wasn't happening. I did a few interviews, then lost energy for the project. That doesn't mean I won't go back to it at some point. But for now, I just can't get into that rhythm.

The novel, though. It came through in the silence of the Scottish Highlands and whispered further in a magical forest in Ireland. At first I couldn't write past the first few paragraphs. But yesterday, I began to research. It flowed. One website after another revealed more potential background in John Phillip Souza-like rhythm. Before I knew it, the day was gone and I had pages of material to review.

In dancing and singing, two of my main hobbies, rhythm is key. I hadn't thought about rhythm in life, but it makes sense. If you tried a waltz to a cha-cha beat, you'd be off balance and stumble a lot. Dancing a Bulgarian dance to an Irish Waltz mixer wouldn't work either.

So I'm paying attention to life's rhythms. and my own. And when what I'm doing doesn't fit the rhythm, it means I need to listen better to find the fit.

What are your rhythms telling you?
Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

At the moment, telling me I'm on track. I'm incredibly busy and been traveling a lot, but it hasn't overwhelmed me.

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

My rhythm is all jumbled right now! One of the things I work on - trying to keep things in perspective and not get overwhelmed or side-tracked. Not the easiest thing to do at times...

Joanne said...

I've always found research so helpful in structuring a story, developing a character, and even as a sort of guide with the plot. It's one of the best writing tools out there!

Helen Ginger said...

My rhythms tell me I can't sing worth a hoot. They also tell me I'm doing too many divergent things at once. I need to focus so that everything isn't jumbled in my head.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Tamika: said...

I love this analogy!

I just found my rhythms in researching and it is flowing naturally. Because in real life I cannot dance at all.

Happy writing.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I like your comparison between the rhythm of music and life. I've taken two trips recently and leave next week for I third. I can't seem to get caught up. I feel that right now my rhythms are reminding me that I have two left feet!

The Old Silly said...

I'm a lot like you. I listen to my heart and compare the pace of my emotions, thoughts and actions. If they are out of synch with each other, I feel helter skelter and need to regroup and get my energies lined back up in harmony.

You write about such deep and thoughtful aspects of life and writing, Karen. Much appreciated.

Marvin D Wilson

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

My rhythms are all out of whack some days. I just can't seem to get in sync with the beat. Then there are days when my rhythms flow one into another in beautiful harmony.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

What a lovely post, Karen! My rhythm right now is a slow steady single cello. "Just keep writing...just keep writing".

Elspeth

J. Aday Kennedy's A Writing Playground said...

I'm trying to find that rhythm. So many things pull my attention. I just need to do so many things and there's not enough time in the day to get them done. Unfortunately the rhythm of the music I'm dancing to is a jumble of warring melodies.
Blessings,
Aday Kennedy
The Differently-Abled Children's Author

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I have no rhythm! Can't dance worth a hoot. The writing somehow comes, but I don't think my style is rhythmic...it's practiced. This is a great analogy. I'd love to find the rhythm and maybe be a little more productive.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Tabitha Bird said...

I am learning to appreciate the rhythms of life. But I still find the silences hard. I much rather the waltz or even jazz :)

Glad you have found your step with your new WIP. All the best.