Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Telling the truth Tuesday - from Killarney

Greetings from Killarney, Ireland. I am in love with Ireland - the lilting sound of the old Irish language (Gaelic, but I'm told they don't call it Gaelic here; they call it the Irish language). Even when they speak English, it is songlike.

Our night on the farm with the Irish family was, indeed, very special, and one of the highlights of the trip. Not only was Gretta a phenomenal cook (the best scones I've ever tasted), but we ended up having a totally unexpected serious conversation. It started with Shawn's (thehubby) shrine to Obama. In the sitting room is an Obama cap, a flag, his book, and a vote sign. Shawn loves American politics and particularly Obama. He was thrilled to get some Americans who also love Obama. Apparently mostly Republicans visit Ireland! Or at least Shawn's farm.

After dinner, Shawn asked me what I do. When he asked what I write and I told him memoir, he wanted to know what my book was about. He got quiet after I told him about being sexually abused as a young child and how hard my life was until I met Gary. Then he started talking about his 27-year-old son, and the girlfriend who has he and Gretta quite worried about their boy. It sounded as if she has some emotional problems that need professional help. Shawn poured his heart out to me. We sat for over two hours talking about the situation. Remarkably moving and profound experience to get that close to someone that quickly.

Today we visited Blarney Castle, home of the Blarney stone. It was pouring down rain. It turns out, there are woods surround the castle lands, and within those woods is an old Druid site, with standing stones and ancient oak and yew trees. Upon entering these woods, I can only tell you that I felt magic. It was as if the ancient energy of the spiritual people there entered me and I was filled with magical energy. We also climbed to the top of the castle to kiss the blarney stone. Apparently it gives one the gift of eloquence. Hopefully I will carry that gift into my writing when I get home.

We are finally in one hotel for the next three nights. Tomorrow we will tour the Ring of Kerry and some more standing stones.

My Tuesday truth: We all need to seek the magic in this world. It abounds, if we open ourselves to it.

The trip is everything I'd hoped for and more.
Blessings to all of you,
Karen

9 comments:

Elspeth Antonelli said...

So glad to read that you are enjoying Ireland. Keep your eye out for fairy rings and the wee folk. Magic is everywhere if you'll only believe.

Elspeth

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

With the blood rushing to my head because of the unusual position one must be in, I did manage to kiss the Blarney stone, but the gift of eloquence still eludes me. I hope you have better luck!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Wow, just think - you went all the way to Ireland to touch another person's soul with your story - how amazing!

Tabitha Bird said...

Magic is what happens when we are just living life :) I too believe in a little magic.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I'm glad you found some magic in Ireland. Thanks for the reminder to look for it everywhere!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Patricia Stoltey said...

You are having a magical trip, Karen. Wonderful descriptions and stories. Thank you for sharing these experiences.

Jennifer Major said...

What a wonderful trip. You will surely be inspired by all that you've seen and the people you've met. Serious conversations b/w near strangers can happen easily once you realize you're on the same side of politics!

Marvin D Wilson said...

"My Tuesday truth: We all need to seek the magic in this world. It abounds, if we open ourselves to it."

Amen to that!

The Old Silly

Helen Ginger said...

What a wonderful, soul touching, spirit enhancing trip you're having. I hope you're taking tons of pictures and making daily entries into a travel diary.

Helen
Straight From Hel