Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, October 19, 2009

Weekend Wrap-Up


The Rock of Cashell





An amazing sunrise from the Isle of Skye Urquart Castle on Loch








The Cliffs of Moher

Glad you all seemed to enjoy the travel photos from Scotland and Ireland. Here are the last few photos. I did put an album with more photos on Facebook, so if you want to see more pics, check it out.

I'm still recovering from jetlag. Woke up every morning at 4 am and couldn't get back to sleep. Friday it was 5 am. Progress, but not perfection. That evening, my sister-in-law, who is here visiting her mom, decided to cook dinner for the two brothers who live here in New Mexico. Mom has always loved to entertain and even if we just bring in food and eat it at her house, she feels like she's hosting people once again. It was lovely to see her so happy.

Saturday I had a singing gig at a retirement community. Despite being a writer, words cannot describe how I feel when I'm singing to seniors (I mean seniors who are older than me). Hope I can continue doing this for a long time. I'm having trouble with hoarseness and sore throat. Don't know if I'm straining my voice or it's food related due to acid reflux. Grrrr.

Sunday, hubby and I had the day to ourselves after taking his sister to the airport. We decided to take a walk on our beloved Bosque. The Rio Grande River runs through Albuquerque, separating the East and West sides. Along the river is a protected area that hosts a public park.
Bike and hiking trails wind through the Bosque, following the river. It is an oasis in the midst of the city. This week, the ancient Cottonwoods began to change color as Fall arrives in the Duke City. As you can see, it's pretty spectacular.

Now that family obligations are over with (except for having to take Mom to the eye doctor Tuesday), I'm going to focus more on writing. Wish me luck.
Blessings,
karen

9 comments:

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Well, you have it! Good luck with the writing and thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures with us again!

I'm heading over to FB to check out your other pictures! Have a great day, Karen!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Beautiful!

Good luck with the writing...and with recovering from jet lag.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Love the Scotland AND ABQ photos! Glad you got to the Isle of Skye. CAN'T miss Loch Ness, either! That's my fondest memory of my visit ten years ago.

Joanne said...

Enjoyed all your travel photos. You certainly recharged in a wonderful, visual, and spiritual way. Best wishes writing ...

Marvin D Wilson said...

I've really enjoyed the pictorial posts - amazing images - thanks so much for sharing. Bet you've got TONS of inspiration now to write with!

The Old Silly

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I've found that the older I get, the harder jet lag is to shake off. I hope you're back on schedule soon. Enjoyed the great photos.

carolynyalin said...

Good luck!

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures, it's been wonderful. Best of luck with the writing and the jet lag recovery!

Elspeth

Tabitha Bird said...

Beautiful beautiful pictures Karen :)

My memoir is currently under going a face lift. The first five pages need a rethink. I have completed the second draft which you are welcome to take a look at. Of course your advise is always welcome :)) I'll send through the next five chapters?