Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Intuition...a practical approach

Thank you so much, Helen Ginger, for your insightful guest post yesterday. It's so great to receive advice from one who is both an editor and a gifted writer.

Today, I'm talking about intuition, something we all have inside of us, but don't always pay attention to.
I'm putting together a two-hour presentation on this topic that will be given on December 5 here in Albuquerque. I thought I'd present parts of it here on Following the Whispers.

There are many ways our body/mind/spirit might try to get our attention. There are also reasons why we might not listen. I want to talk about one of those reasons--abusive relationships.

If you are in a relationship in which you are shamed, put down, disrespected, controlled, physically assaulted, psychologically assaulted, or emotionally battered, you are in an abusive relationship. And if you are, there is no way you can be comfortable being yourself, open to life and its wisdom. Instead you are encased in a protective covering that shuts out everything. But it really doesn't. Each barbed comment, each ridicule, each humiliation, each slap or punch, each jab at your psyche and your soul, eats away a bit more of your life energy until you feel depleted and defeated, in despair and perhaps depressed.

Since I lived most of my life this way, I know this place very well. It's taken years to recover; still working on it at 60. So my message here today is to start paying attention to how you feel in a given situation and with the people in your life. If your energy feels drained, look to see what was said or done. Was there something that was hurtful that you missed because you were shut down in an effort to protect yourself?

Your body will give you messages even if your mind doesn't notice. Does your stomach hurt after a conversation? Is there a twitch? Headache? Over the years, I've learned the signals my mind/body/spirit uses to get my atention. I get a kind of glazed feeling, as if I am encased in gauze. I begin to lose focus, unable to hear what someone is saying, as if I am in a daze. Nothing comes through when I am in that state.

The first step is awareness. My consciousness needs to be awake enough to notice the problem. More and more, that is the case. Catching those signals before negativity takes a hold of me.

What signals might you be missing?

Blessings,
Karen

8 comments:

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

It is a talent, in a sense, to tune in and not only hear, but listen to that inner voice.

I don't believe it's anything we actually ever "achieve," it's more of a continual work in progress - of listening and being receptive to what our bodies, minds and spirit are saying to us.

I have a deep level of proprioception, and that physical awareness is easily applied to our mental and spiritual state as well. It takes practice - the listening. Especially with outside factors blocking the signals.

Once you've found the right channel and the right frequency, it certainly comes in handy in knowing how to move on, how to grow, how to deal with any given situation. How to LIVE.

Karen again I must commend you on all you have overcome, and the level of insight you have attained.

Cyndi said...

Great post Karen. This is so true. It's been shocking to me how many physical signs I learned to ignore over the years. It takes intense concentration at the beginning to start listening to yourself and trusting your instincts. My biggest "red alert" is a knot in my stomach. I ignored it for 37 years. Now, whenever I feel that familiar knot I slow down and figure out what's causing it. Throughout the day I even do a "knot check" where I actually stop and check to see if there's a knot. I'm relieved when there isn't but if there is I find the source so I can deal with it. I am so appreciative for all that you share here about reclaiming yourself after abuse.

Joanne said...

Intuition is such a delicate, yet powerful, communication. It seems like there are almost different types, the actual emotional intuition, and the manisfestation of it in the physical symptoms. Being really tuned-in to all around us is so necessary. What a fascinating subject to explore in your presentation!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

The signals are there...lots of them, but most of the time I don't pay attention and the results are painful, whether physical, mental, emotional or spiritual. I'm learning that it's a form of self abuse not to pay attention to the signals and take positive healing action.

Great post! I look forward to more on this subject.

Marvin D Wilson said...

So true. Our body is much wiser than we are. Learn to listen, be tuned into it, and it tells us a great deal more than we can "think" of.

The Old Silly

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I try to pay attention to what my body is doing. A headache or loss of appetite means something is upsetting me.

Great post, Karen.

Elspeth

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Oh my goodness. I've got so many signals that I'm trying to ignore! The signals aren't even subtle anymore, if they ever were. I forgot to pack my daughter's lunchbox today, of all things! Fortunately, she has money in an account at the cafeteria. Sigh! I think my brain is in overload mode now.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Tabitha Bird said...

I am finally stating to understand some of my body cues. My counsellor spends a lot of time making me tune into my body. I find it uncomfortable after years of trying to ignore my body. But I am seeing the benefits.

all the best for that talk