Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Birthing Your Book--easily

On Monday's post, the intrepid Helen Ginger couldn't make up her mind if I was her idol or mentor, then finally decided I was a trailblazer. Could have knocked me over with a feather. Truly, I'm just struggling to find my way in this world, trying to be the best person I can be after a lifetime of hurts. The Old Silly says he appreciates my sharing my spiritual journey here on this blog. Well, let me tell you, it's not always easy to share the truth about what I'm feeling, experiencing, and learning. But it seems it is what I am meant to do.

And the writing workshop I attended yesterday emphasized that to me.
Mark David Gerson, author of "Voice of the Muse," has been a writing coach for 15+ years. He has a gift. The workshop yesterday profoundly changed how I view writing. In an exercise that included a guided meditation, I had what I can only call an out of body experience. Perhaps you fiction writers experience something like it when your characters talk to you. I've not had that experience before.

When I was in Scotland, what I thought was a character came to me and said, "Tell my story." During the exercise yesterday, this same energy/voice, came through and began giving me guidance for this project. It said not to worry at this point about whether it was my muse or a character. I just needed to surrender to this project. I needed to write in long-hand and transcribe onto the computer later. Some of what it said is quite private, but what I can share is that this next project is another leap into my spiritual journey of healing. When I completed my memoir, I felt as if I'd become the person I'd been striving to be all these years. But yesterday, I understood there is much more depth to be reached. That I couldn't write this next work until I'd done all the work I did on the memoir.

The hardest lesson for me to learn will be to trust the process and trust myself. Trust is hard for me. I didn't get a firm foundation of love and trust growing up. Old feelings from childhood surface unexpectedly and I must be fully present and awake enough to catch them when they bubble, before they erupt.

As Mark David said to me at the end of the session, "It's a journey into trust. Trust that the next word will come. Treat words as breath, flowing as effortlessly as breathing."

Okay then, I am willing to surrender to this journey. Who's coming with me?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Sylvia Dickey Smith said...

Count me in, Karen. Loved what you wrote about your journey, and the workshop. Indeed, when we write from our heart, we must trust that next word to be there when we need it.

I have that book--once begun--but still sitting "on the shelf" in my laptop, titled Call Me Cyn. When I go to it, the pain becomes to great and I back off. One day.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Me!

You are definitely a role model for all of us, Karen. We appreciate your honesty!

I'm excited about your journey.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Tamika: said...

I'm in Karen!

Faith is trusting in what I cannot see. The voices that propel me forward with on a flicker light to blaze the path ahead. It is invigorating and nauseating at the same time. But it will be worth in the end.

Joanne said...

I am SO on board this writing train! Sometimes trust, every breath of it, is the best inspiration to keep chugging along. That faith in our selves, and in our words, carries us far on the page. The trust of others helps, too, and I SO trust that you can write this next book :)

The Old Silly said...

"It's a journey into trust. Trust that the next word will come. Treat words as breath, flowing as effortlessly as breathing."

Love that quote! Mark is a great writer/muse/success/life coach - but I'm sure you know that by now. :)

Marvin D Wilson

Jen Chandler said...

Many times I feel like I'm hanging on to the writing train with my fingernails while it flies down the tracks, threatening to blast me off it's sides! But I'm in. And I've been in too long to get off now. So I'll dig in, keep fighting for a foot hold, and hopefully end up with a seat in a first class cabin.

Jen

Helen Ginger said...

It sounds like you had an amazing experience. I sometimes dream my characters and wake up with scenes fully developed. Often I write scenes and find they flow easily from my fingertips to the keyboard. But I've never had a character talk directly to me or tell me how to get the words on the page. I have a feeling you are much more in tune to your inner self than I am. It will be fascinating to hear about your experiences in writing this story.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Hi, Karen! It's nice to meet you! Thanks for coming by my blog! I look forward to getting to know you too!

It's really hard to trust. I'm in re-editing stages and it's definitely difficult! But I know it will be worth it in the end.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Trust has always been tricky for me; both trusting others and trusting myself. Trusting the next word will come? I don't know if I trust, but I do hope.

You seem to be beginning a new exciting journey, Karen. You have my every good wish for a safe voyage.

Elspeth

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Karen your posts are so incredibly inspiring. I'm with you! It's an ongoing and continual process of learning how to trust and recognizing those niggling little things that crop up in us and stopping them before they become full-blown hindrances.

You have excellent proprioception and insight, not only about yourself but the world around you.

Anonymous said...

Boy, Karen, that sounded like more than a whisper to me! Go with the flow and never regret anything that made you smile.

-Simona