Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 2, 2009

Weekend Wrap-up

Friday morning my husband left to take his mom back to her hometown for the weekend. The only responsibility I had was our dog, Buddy. During the day, he doesn't require much attention. Just feed him once in the am and once at nite and he's happy. Oh, and if you should happen to decide to take him outside for a walk, he twirls around in circles, which we have determined means ecstatic. He's a Blue-heeler, Border collie mix.

Buddy and I spent Friday nite outside of Santa Fe, at the home of my friend's new fella. Among other things, the new boyfriend is a gourmet cook. We feasted on roast loin of pork, homemade ravioli stuffed with butternut squash, and salad with cheese and pears. The dessert was pear marinated in some kind of liqueor and a cream sauce to-die-for. 360 degree views of mountains surround his home. It was a peaceful oasis, until Buddy took off and didn't return for about 20 minutes.

We came home fairly early Saturday with no further plans for the day. That night I intended to go folkdancing and then to a coffee shop, where my singing teacher was performing with her Bulgarian band, The Goddess of Arno. But as I cuddled on the couch with a cup of tea, my down comforter, and Buddy nestled beside me, I realized I was exactly where I wanted to be. Home.
I turned off the computer and decided to watch two romantic comedies. Hubby would maybe watch one, but never two. And he almost never misses dancing. There is something wonderful about having no one to answer to but oneself. My feelings of selfishness about having chosen to remain at home rather than take a trip with mom-in-law diminished as the weekend progressed.

Since I'm writing this Sunday morning for publication Monday, I will have attended the writing workshop Sunday afternoon. I'm sure I'll me posting about that quite soon. In the meantime, I am going to repeat something I said earlier last week. If I don't stand up for myself, who will? That lesson is proving to be one of the most valuable lessons I've learned. Even with the little things. Like my brother-in-law the other day. Mom wanted to know what to get their grandson for XMAS, since she's going to be with them for the holiday. I suggested she wait till she gets there and take the boy shopping so he can choose what he wants. When I told that to my brother-in-law he said, "Or, we could send you the XMAS wishlist." Before, I would have said, "Oh, sure." This time I said, "No, it's better for me if you take Mom shopping to get the gift. It's one less thing for me to do." He was fine with it. But even if he wasn't, how else are people to know what is okay and what is not okay if we don't tell them. Duh!

Hope you all had good weekends as well.
Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend! Looking forward to hearing about the workshop.

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

Oh how I envy your delightful weekend! Good for you Karen!

You are absolutely right on target as far as standing up for yourself and letting others know what's okay and what's not - for YOU - in your world. We have so much in common. This is another one of the things I make a concerted effort to work on.

I've gotten much, much better. I somehow, during my formative years (do they ever end? NO) became a people-pleaser. Don't make waves! Don't hurt feelings! During my journey I've found that I CAN stand up for myself without making waves (well, maybe a few ripples), and without hurting feelings. I discovered that my skin was thinner than others'. "You have to be more thick-skinned." How many times had I heard that before I finally began to realize what it meant, and what it would take to be able to stand up for myself. Let others know what's okay with ME.

I love your posts. They are reinforcing and I find myself being retrospective and introspective and reassessing me and where I'm at.

Blessings, (and I love that too...)
Crystal

Tamika: said...

That sounded like a lovely weekend. That yummy dinner would have been the highlight for me.

Let us hear more about the workshop.

Happy writing!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Karen--So relaxing! And it sounds like Buddy enjoyed it, too. I'm looking forward to hearing about your workshop.

You're right about telling others what suits us best. Otherwise,they *don't* know. And then we get irritated with them (at least I do) for not being able to read our minds. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Joanne said...

Sounds like a perfect, leisurely weekend. I like your attitude of letting your wishes be known, which comes down to a real personal honesty, to our selves and others. It seems that in the long run, it brings about more respect and appreciation for who we truly are.

Helen Ginger said...

I was torn between calling you my idol or my mentor. I've decided you're a trail blazer. Almost every day, you share something you've learned about yourself and it's inspirational.

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I hope you continue to have great adventures (even spending the weekend alone can be adventure).

Helen
Straight From Hel

The Old Silly said...

Sounds like a fine weekend. Hope you had a wonderful workshop also!

Marvin D Wilson

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Buddy sounds like a wonderful dog and you're a sweetie for taking such good care of him. I'll be he loves being up on the couch and cozy.

Best, Galen.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

That meal sounds absolutely yummy! So glad you had such a lovely weekend. Your posts inspire me daily.

Elspeth

carolynyalin said...

Sounds like a good weekend. Can't wait to hear about the workshop.

N A Sharpe said...

Ah, I get to be envious again. LOL. Sounds like a delightful weekend. Can't wait to hear about the workshop.

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Patricia Stoltey said...

The part of your post I liked the best was when you said, "No," and "It's one less thing for me to do." Good for you.