Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 16, 2009

Weekend Wrap up

It was a relatively quiet weekend, thank goodness. Friday night hubby and I cuddled on the couch, except for when our dog, Buddy, snuggled between us. We watched an HBO film, Recount. Saturday, I got together with two old friends, one of whom I recently re-connected with. It is the first time in my life that I've lost a friend and than was able to heal the wounds and move forward. Then I visited another friend in Santa Fe whom I haven't seen in awhile. We talked, laughed, ate some soup, and went to see a Japanese film called "Still Walking." The movie felt like a lyrical poem; simply exquisite. When I left Santa Fe, it was snowing hard, but by the time I reached the freeway that would take me home to Albuquerque, it was just rain.

Sunday is Mom day. We brought her to our house and watched the movies my hubby took on our trip to Scotland/Ireland. We hadn't seen them yet. Video is a wonderful way to capture moments from life.

Regular readers of this blog know that I goofed a bit last week and inadvertently posted an article written by wonderful editor, Helen Ginger. We are going to run that post again on Following the Whispers, this coming Wednesday, 11/18, since there are a few more points Helen wanted to address. Please make sure to stop by Wednesday for the rest of "The End is Really the Beginning."

Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

I'll look forward to Wednesday!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

What a wonderful weekend full of family and friendships and enjoyable movies!

Crystal Clear Proofing said...

It's such a pleasure to come to one of my favorite blogs and visit again, Karen! I hope your'e feeling much better - sounds like it with such a delightful weekend!

One thing that stood out in your post is the rekindling of a "lost" friendship. You only mention it in passing, but many times that is a huge step. Difficult and sometimes not even possible. I commend and congratulate you on this achievement. In a situation like that one can find closure on one hand and a sense of peace and growth on another.

Joanne said...

Aren't those the best weekends, so easygoing? Ours was a little hectic, but in a good way. Did our Thanksgiving food shopping, preparing for the holiday next week. Next week?!? Oh it can't be ...

Jen Chandler said...

What a fabulous weekend! I'm so glad you were able to relax and enjoy yourself. I have a friendship like that. We grew apart, thought it happened for reasons that were non-existent, had a good laugh, and are now best friends.

Happy Monday,
Jen

Suzette Saxton said...

I love cuddle-up weekends! Glad yours was fabulous.

Sylvia Dickey Smith said...

Sounds delightful--I'm looking forward to reading Helen--I missed the partial post! And think I'll rent the film you spoke of!

Helen Ginger said...

I feel like a celebrity, being on your blog twice!

Your weekend sounds heavenly, even with the rain. Old friends, movies, watching travel videos...makes me smile.

Helen
Straight From Hel

L. Diane Wolfe said...

A whole weekend to goof - I don't even remember what that is like!

Karen Walker said...

I highly recommend time outs to just "goof" as Diane says. Life is too darn short not to have fun.
Karen

Stephen Tremp said...

I need more weekends like yours. I need to take a Sabbaoth more seriously and just relax and have fun.

Stephen Tremp

Jody Hedlund said...

Sounds like a relaxing and enjoyable weekend, Karen! I always love snuggling on the couch with hubby and watching a movie. Our cat likes to jump up and sleep between us!

Galen Kindley--Author said...

Another energetic and rewarding weekend. No grass grows under Karen’s feet. Good for you. Having Helen guest on your blog is a nice coup. She’s very talented.

Best Regards, Galen

Imagineering Fiction Blog

The Old Silly said...

Nice that you have a "Mom Day" - sweet. My brother and I go to our mom's house twice a month and spend the afternoon with her, go shopping for her, clean up around & maintain the house, that sort of thing. She's been widowed for 10 years, and it's the least we can do.

Marvin D Wilson

Patricia Stoltey said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Friends and movies are two of the things I never get enough of.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Cuddling and watching a movie - aahhh, there's nothing better!

N A Sharpe said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend, I bet the video of your trip was amazing. I know I really enjoyed the parts of your trip you shared with us. I'm looking forward to Wednesday's post - Helen has such wonderful insights and tips to share.

Nancy, from Realms of Thought