Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 23, 2009

Weekend Wrap-up

This weekend had some mixed blessings. Friday night was the awards banquet for the 2009 New Mexico Book awards. "Following the Whispers" was a finalist in the First Book by Author category. Alas, it didn't win an award, but frankly, I am ecstatic that it was a finalist. The good news is that I met some wonderful people with whom I felt an instant rapport.

Saturday I had a singing gig with my trio. We did very well and the audience seemed to really enjoy us. The sad news is that one of us is leaving in the Spring for a lengthy motor home adventure with her hubby. When I asked the third member of our trio if she wanted to continue to sing together, she hesitated. She's not sure. If she does decide to continue, we have to find a third partner. If she doesn't want to continue, I am faced with giving up singing, or finding two other people and basically starting over. Not sure I have the energy for that...so I'm quite sad. We'll see how this shakes out.

At folkdancing Saturday night, I connected with good friends, which felt wonderful. I haven't been dancing much this past year because of my shoulder injury/surgery/recovery. Now I can dance once again and it fed my soul.

Several friends expressed an interest in coming to my talk on intuition December 5. It still amazes me when people seem to want to hear what I have to say. I am quite nervous about the talk, because it is new. I've talked many times as a marketing/public relations professional. And I'm comfortable talking about my life and experiences. But this is different.

Do you have any new experiences looming on your horizon that make you nervous? If so, how are you handling it?

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

It's never fun to start from scratch with something, is it? I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, I hope you can quickly plug into a compatible group.

I do get nerves sometimes and handle it in different ways--over-preparation comes to mind. Also, ignoring the thing that's making me nervous and deciding not to worry about it. I'm not sure if these methods work.

Elizabeth

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Every day is a new experience...some wonderful and others are trials. But with the Lord's help and direction we will get through them and be blessed.

Hubby and I have made a decision, because of my chronic health problems, to sell our motorhome. Our dreams of long travels has come to an unexpected end and for that I'm so sad, but I have some wonderful memories from where we've been.

We've also made a decision to seriously consider selling our townhouse and moving out of what has been a problem and expensive community. The economy and housing market will determine when/if that happens.

So many new adventures!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Congratulations on being a finalist - that's a great honor. Good luck with the talk and finding a new singing partner.

I don't have anything looming in the near future so I'll be able to relax and enjoy the holidays.

Tamika: said...

Wow, how awesome that you were a finalist!

Starting over is never comfortable for me, I love routine and consistency. The Lord has to constantly remind me that He is concerned with building my character not sustain my comfort.

Joanne said...

Congrats again on being a finalist in the New Mexico Book Awards, an honor indeed! Is there a possibility that your singing group will go on an extended hiatus during your friend's journey, then resume at a later time? If you know it's still on the horizon, maybe that'll help? As for new experiences, I've always found that doing as much research and detailed preparation helps to guide me through it. It sounds like an amazing opportunity/experience for you!

arlee bird said...

Congratulations on your being in the running -- that kind of recognition is almost as good as winning the top place. Sounds like you keep pretty busy.
Plenty of new experiences are always ahead, but nothing huge to be making me nervous other than whatever comes my way in the form of a job or some sort of income producing situation. I pray continually that God will guide me in the right direction.
Lee

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Just practice many times before the date and you'll do fine.

I've done my Overcoming Obstacles talk hundreds of times, but in couple weeks I'll be doing a holiday version. So that will be new!

Helen Ginger said...

I still think it's awesome that you were a finalist - you definitely should put it on your website, if you haven't already. Does the NM Book Awards have book stickers for the finalists? When I headed up the Writers' League of TX, we gave out the Violet Crown awards (it's since changed the name of the award) and we provided the winners and finalists with stickers to put on the covers of their books. Seeing a finalist or winner sticker on a book can make a difference in sales.

I have a group of friends who want me to do a workshop for them on Twitter and Blogging. They don't do either and are convinced I'm some kind of expert. I've tried for months to convince them I'm not. Now, they've decided I'll do the workshop in January - and I have to start researching and creating handouts so I won't fall on my face!

Helen
Straight From Hel

Karen Walker said...

Yes, Helen, there are stickers and they are on the book! Oh, can I come to the workshop on Twitter?
Karen

Stephen Tremp said...

You sing too? You are talented. My parents and kids sing. Guess the singing gene skipped a generation with me.

Stephen Tremp

Devon Ellington said...

Speaking in public always makes me nervous, but I find once i start and by really looking at the audience as individuals, I get over it and have a good time.

Best of luck.

And maybe you don't have to give up singing, but some new doors are preparing to open that you might not have otherwise found.

Best wishes to you.

carolynyalin said...

Congratualtions on being a finalist. I think it's exciting you made it that far! I entered a contest and will be happy if I make it into the final, keep your finges crossed for me :)