Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 30, 2009

Weekend Wrap-Up


Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. I did. We had a wonderful time with my son. Good conversations, a trip to Ghost Ranch, in Northern New Mexico where we hiked up to Chimney Rock. Thanksgiving meal with friends, then another hike. Friday we hiked yet again, then food and games at a friend's house. Who could ask for more?

My heart is filled with the blessings in my life. Blessings I thought I'd never have. When I sat down to do my annual "bucket list," I realized so many of those dreams have already come true. I've begun a new list. The priorities seem to have shifted from things to do to things I want to be.

Here's something a little different from my normal Monday posts. Two writer friends, Kendra Bonnett and Matilda Butler, are celebrating 30 years of friendship and business partnership today. They've asked that we share the joy of that collaboration by posting how they are honoring their time together. Here it is:

Milbridge, ME, and Gilroy, CA, November 30, 2009—While friendships often last a
lifetime, long-term business partnerships are rare. So Matilda Butler and Kendra
Bonnett’s 30-year friendship and business relationship is reason for their celebration.
While these two partners work from opposite coasts this week—Kendra from her home
in Downeast Maine and Matilda enjoying country comforts in Gilroy, California—they
have decided to do something special to mark the occasion of their personal milestone.

Matilda and Kendra are asking their friends and colleagues to help them get the
word out through their newsletters, blogs and emails to aspiring memoirists. On Monday,
November 30th, they will post a blog on WomensMemoirs.com entitled: “It’s Our
Anniversary, but You Get the Gift.” As Matilda explains: “Starting November 30th and
extending for at least one week, we’re selling our 5-DVD set The [Essential] Women’s
Memoir Writing Workshop: 21 Steps from Planning to Publication for just 30 percent of
it’s regular price of $132. That’s just $7.80 per disc.”

“Thirty years…that’s a lot of water under the proverbial bridge,” says Kendra.
“We wanted to acknowledge it by doing something dramatic. Frankly, I hope everyone
who has ever wanted this workshop takes advantage of this sale. Nothing would make us
happier than to practically give away a truckload of these DVDs.”

A Focus on Memoir
In 2005, while Kendra was visiting Matilda and husband Bill Paisley in Gilroy,
Matilda asked Kendra to read the first draft of her manuscript for the collective memoir
Rosie’s Daughters: The “First Woman To” Generation Tells Its Story. That’s all it took
to initiate a new collaboration. Soon they were working on the book together. “That was
a very creative time for us as,” Matilda recalls, “we worked to fashion a format that
would accommodate the running narrative, vignettes from the more than 100 women
interviewed, iconic images from the post-WWII years, a timeline and quotes from famous
Rosie’s Daughters.” The collaboration was a success, and Rosie’s Daughters won a 2008
IPPY national book award.

Kendra and Matilda are terrific, so if you write memoir, please check out their website: http://www.womensmemoirs.com/

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Glad you had such a nice Thanksgiving. I wish I'd worked in a couple of hikes to work off some of the turkey and dressing!

I don't write memoir - yet, but I will check out the blog.

Suzyhayze said...

What an inspiring story!

Joanne said...

I'm a walker, so I love the sound of your hikes! They seem so physically and spiritually engaging. Also, I do have a memoir manuscript, so will def check out Kendra and Matilda's link, thanks!

Helen Ginger said...

Congratulations to them on a long-time friendship. The memoir sounds very interesting.

Karen, you should be congratulated on all the hiking you did! You just keep getting younger.

Helen
Straight From Hel

The Old Silly said...

Enjoyed the warm wrap up, and good to see you back!

Marvin D Wilson

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I'm glad to hear you had such a lovely Thanksgiving. There was certainly no opportunity to hike where I am; rain all weekend.

Glad to see you're back!

Elspeth

Jody Hedlund said...

Glad you had such a wonderful weekend! I wish I could have hiked too! Looks like a beautiful place! We are so blessed--we just have to remember to stop and count those blessings, don't we!

carolynyalin said...

Busy weekend, glad you enjoyed it.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Beautiful location!

I think it's great that you take time out to make a bucket list every year--and that you've already knocked so many things off the list! That's definitely something I need to do. Thanks for the reminder, Karen!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Tabitha Bird said...

Glad your thanksgiving was great. And thanks for that link!